Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Defective uninstall facility

• Please log in to reply

jjfw42

jjfw42

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hello there

Having followed the sage advice of the moderator on the Win98 section of this site, I have managed to reload windows on an old laptop which I intend to use for music editing (the programmes won't run on Windows 7). Unfortunately I need to uninstall a version of Pinnacle Clean 5.0. The uninstall doesn't work, informing me that it couldn't open Install.Log file. It looks as if I may need to remove it manually....how does one go about this? Should I reformat the drive and reinstall everything?

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you try the program I suggested in your other topic in the last post?

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Please pardon my ignorance, but I'm unaware of that post. I've just checked my stream in the Windows 98 section and can't see any reference to such a programme.

I have tried a number of freeware utilities (myuninstall, zsoft uninstaller, addremove cleaner) all of which failed to uninstall the offending software, the latter removed the programme from the windows add/remove programmes facility which didn't work in any case.

I would appear to be stuck with a programme which runs, prevents it's sister programme (WaveLab lite) from installing fully, won't uninstall, and won't reinstall over the existing installation.

I did try e-mailing the manufacturers but was told that they no longer supported the programmes, and hence wouldn't give me any advice.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well I'll post my instructions here then for you.

Download and install Revo Uninstaller
  • Double click the Revo Uninstaller icon on your desktop to start the program
  • Scroll through the listed programs and Right Click on the program you wish to uninstall
  • From the pop out menu choose Uninstall
  • Click Yes to the confirmation dialogue
  • In the next window select the Advanced mode
  • Click Next to start uninstalling the program
  • Answer Yes to confirm the uninstall
  • When the program has completed the four steps, click Next to allow the program to search for leftovers
  • Once complete, click Next, then Finish
  • Repeat the above steps for any other programs you wish to remove.

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Also HERE in post 16 is where I posted it. You may not have noticed that it is on the 2nd page of your topic. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You could also try reinstalling the offending program and then try Revo to completely uninstall it.

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I've just found your reply in my other thread. I do apologise for not spotting it yesterday.

I followed your advice with regard 'revo', unfortunately it wouldn't work on Windows 98, I received an error message telling me to upgrade to a more modern os. With regard your other advice, to reinstall Clean, I have tried to do that, but receive an error message to the effect that the uninstaller cannot be located. This is deeply frustrating, and I do appreciate your time and the advice you are giving me.

Is there anything else I could try?

Should I continue to post here or on the other thread?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We can continue here.
Is there anything on the system you don't want to lose? The best thing to do now is to format and do a fresh install of 98. that would guarantee everything will be gone and you will have a fast running system then without all the old stuff.

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I would be entirely happy with a fresh install. There is nothing on the machine that I wish to keep. I have the discs etc. for all of the programmes I need, so the only drawback would be having to reinstall them. Next time, I would install WaveLab lite last of all as any interference such as loading other programmes seems to slide it back to a previous version without all of the functions.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I would agree with that step for sure.
Here are the instructions again. If you get to a screen that asks about formatting the existing partition please do that as it will get rid of everything on the drive now and allow a brand new installation of Win98.

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to CDrom.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hopefully you have already put the 98SE cd in the drive before all this. If everything is setup correctly you will get a black screen with the following message in the upper left corner:

"Push Any Key To Boot To Cd". When you see this then push any key and the cd will take over. Then follow the prompts or if you need assistance we will help.

Advertisements

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I have encountered a problem I'm afraid.

I started the machine with the Windows cd in situ, having changed the boot sequence to start with cd-rom, and received the following message:

Your computer may have a disk compression program installed on it.
Because this system may contain an existing operating system or data, setup cannot continue. For more information press F1.

Which, when pressed elicits the following:

This version of setup cannot continue. You need to run setup from setup disk 1 or the windows cd-rom
1. remove the the floppy disk from the drive, and then restart your computer.
2. insert setup disk 1 or the windows cd-rom into the drive.
3. if windows is running, click the start button, click run and then type the following (if windows is not running, type this at the MS-DOS command prompt): a:\setup

where 'a' is the letter of the drive containing the windows disk.
if you are installing from a cd-rom, type a:\win95\setup [sic.]
note: if you are reinstalling windows 98 and windows won't start, press F8 when the message 'starting windows 98...' appears and then choose 'command prompt only'

If you are installing from a cd-rom, type DOSStart to load the real mode cd-rom driver before running setup

I must confess to being more than a little confused. How should I proceed?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is this a full win98 or a upgrade?

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
To my knowledge the machine was bought preloaded with windows 98se.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK lets try the in windows instructions.

if windows is running, click the start button, click run and then type the following (if windows is not running, type this at the MS-DOS command prompt): a:\setup

Change the drive letter to your cdrom drive. Most likely it would be D

jjfw42

jjfw42

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I carried out the last set of instructions, typing d:\setup at the run prompt, but windows re-installed as it did before, with all previous software etc unaffected.

The only difference was that I was able to create a windows start-up floppy disk where previously it was rejected each time I tried.

How should I proceed?