Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

swapped PSU, pop and flashing lights, no boot up

• Please log in to reply

cassato

cassato

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, sorry if I mess up this post as it is my first and I am a bit frantic at the moment.

I just swapped out my PSU from an 800w to a 1000w because I am getting a second GPU (GTX470) and 800 watts wouldn't cut it. I swapped it out pretty easily, leaving most of the old cables in place except the PCI-E going into the GPU, I used one of the 3 fixed cords coming out of the PSU. The cords that I unplugged from the 800w fit into a couple of the PCI-E slots in the 1000w PSU, so I went ahead and plugged them in. I have swapped out many PSUs at work on our crappy desktops but they are just 250watts and very straight forward, so I figured this couldnt be much harder - i was wrong.

After all was installed i powered it up and heard a small pop feint smell of burning plastic =( . the fans tried to turn over for a second then nothing but a red flashing light on my motherboard and the GTX470 strip of green lights that usually light up in sequence were all flashing at the same speed. I could even hear a pulsating coming from the speakers.

Configuration:
MOTHERBOARD: Asus P6X58D (3-Way SLI Support)
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-975 Extreme Edition 3.33 GHz
HDD: * 128 GB Kingston 2.5 inch SATA Gaming MLC Solid State Disk
HDD2: 1TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 16MB Cache 7200RPM
MEMORY: 6GB (2GBx3) DDR3/1600MHz
OLD PSU: Xtreme Gear 800w
NEW PSU: Cool Master Silent Pro Gold 1000w

any help / thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

i powered it up and heard a small pop feint smell of burning plastic

Not good. Not good at all. You need to pull that PSU immediately and have it tested. While out of the case and away from the PC, sniff the PSU and see if the burnt smell is coming from it.

You might try installing the old PSU again (which was plenty powerful enough for those two cards, BTW) and see if the rest of your components were not fried too. I hope not.

Note it is pretty hard to hook up a power supply incorrectly. In fact, except for not connecting something that should be connected, I don't see how a supply could be connected incorrectly - except by excessive force. All the connectors are keyed to only go in one way.

You said you "left most of the old cables in place". Please explain.