Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Random BSODs and programs crashing

• Please log in to reply

TerasMinus

TerasMinus

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I'm not that knowledgeable about computers, so please bear with me.
Within the past couple months, something had happened to this computer, which had resulted in us having to....reinstall a fresh copy of XP, or something to that effect, because files had gotten messed up or something. Ever since then, the sound card hasn't worked, resulting in a really annoying beep for things such as when trying to exit from paint or notepad, and it asks if you wish to save anything that was changed, or when a task gets done, such as zipping or unzipping files. Also, Firefox randomly crashes depending on certain sites, especially ones with animated ads and such. In addition to that, when playing games (mainly), they will frequently close without error messages, and sometimes even BSOD. The only option my stepfather is thinking of is re-doing everything all over again, and I'm hoping to try to find someway to fix it without resorting to that, as it would take a lot of time. Any help would be appreciated.

On a side note, we use Catalyst Control Center and, ever since all this started, we had been getting an error message saying something around the lines of "The driver is not supported". I can give more information if needed, as I'm sure that isn't enough anyway.

Thank you in advance.

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
It looks like you are missing drivers for some of your hardware (sound card, video card).

Assuming you have XP installed Go to START/CONTROL PANEL/PERFORMANCE AND MAINTENANCE/SYSTEM choose the tab HARDWARE and go into the DEVICE MANAGER if you see any devices with a yellow question mark then those you will need to find the drivers.

For your video card ATI will sometimes do that after installing the drivers and the Catalyst Control Center (by the way you need Net Framework 2 installed for it to work properly) windows will ask you to reboot and after the reboot will not install the ATI driver but reinstall the Microsoft driver for your card making you get the message that the driver is not supported by the Control Center.

When you are in the device manager right click on Display Adapter and choose properties and verify if t is the Microsoft driver installed or not.

If it is like i think choose update driver and when the wizard opens choose NOT THIS TIME and click next then choose INSTALL FROM A LIST OR SPECIFIC LOCATION (ADVANCED) and click next then choose DON'T SEARCH I WILL CHOOSE THE DRIVER TO INSTALL and click next, you should then see a list of the ATI drivers installed on your computer for your card, choose the drivers from ATI (not Microsoft Corporation) and update it. Do the same if you have a (secondary) card under your Display Adapter.

Once that is done make sure you have the latest DirectX version installed for XP (version 9c).

Hopefully this will solve most of your problem (right video card drivers) if you have others drivers missing let us know which ones and we will try to help find them for you (find them at your Computer builder HP, DELL, ACER ect) or (your motherboard manufacturer Asus, gigabyte, MSI ect) or if any add on cards (the manufacturer of the card)

Supply the model of your computer, OS if not XP and any other information possible

Hope this will help

Edited by Alzeimer, 10 August 2011 - 06:17 AM.

TerasMinus

TerasMinus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Ok, I updated the ATI drivers, and I have the most current version of DirectX.

For the sound card, when I looked, there is a yellow exclamation mark next to Realtek AC'97 Audio. Where do I go from here.

Thank you for your help so far, as well as thank you for how quickly you have responded.

Edit:So far, there have been no BSODs. However, it seems that some programs and such still randomly close for no reason.

Edited by TerasMinus, 10 August 2011 - 10:18 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

For the sound card, when I looked, there is a yellow exclamation mark next to Realtek AC'97 Audio. Where do I go from here.

You will have to check the model of your Computer if it is a brand name(DELL ??? = ACER ??? ect) go their website to find the appropriate driver for your soundcard.

If it is a clone (no brand name) you will have to check what is the model number of your Motherboard (ASUS ??? - GIGABYTE ??? ect) and go to their website to find the driver for your soundcard.

If you cannot find the model number of your Motherboard then I suggest you use this little program Aida32 (link below) to get all the information you need about your computer.

http://www.softpedia...Info/AIDA.shtml

Edit:So far, there have been no BSODs. However, it seems that some programs and such still randomly close for no reason.

Please specify which programs and at what rate it happens, (always, certains times, rarely ect)

TerasMinus

TerasMinus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Concerning the model, where would i be looking? Im currently using AIDA32, but i have no idea what to be looking at.

Also, concerning the crashes, i was a bit misinformed. I was told it had crashed some other things, when it didnt. So far, from what i've seen, it crashes when i play a game, usually at random but pretty often. Also, as of this posting, i just recently had a BSOD out of nowhere.

Edit:I'm starting to think that maybe the games closing is a heat issue, as i pried open the AC vent in this room and it hadn't crashed yet.

Edited by TerasMinus, 11 August 2011 - 11:23 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
For the Aida32 iussue, just go into the section Motherboard and it should list yout model name and number.

As for the bsod while playing games you can download SPEEDFAN and install it adn check all the temps from your processor to your video card (gpu) and report the results back.

TerasMinus

TerasMinus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Would that be where it says Motherboard Properties, and has the ID and Name?

I'll also get back to you on the heat thing. Im considering that it might have been the issue, as the same game i've been playing, which had kept crashing, hasnt crashed once today, which seems like a good sign, but i'm not gonna count it for sure.

Edit:Shortly after i had posted this, firefox had randomly crashed, and then the whole computer BSOD. It was weird because i only had a few tabs open a message board.

Edit 2:Well, im starting to doubt the temperature is the problem. Im guessing its just something with the memory or something to that effect. No blue screens, but 2 crashes, 1 while using speedfan. While using speedfan, though, i did notice that before playing a game, the temperature for "Remote 1" is 63 degrees Celsius, but while playing a game, it goes to upwards of 79 degrees.

Edited by TerasMinus, 13 August 2011 - 09:06 PM.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts

Would that be where it says Motherboard Properties, and has the ID and Name?

Yes it should be under that section

I'll also get back to you on the heat thing. Im considering that it might have been the issue, as the same game i've been playing, which had kept crashing, hasnt crashed once today, which seems like a good sign, but i'm not gonna count it for sure.

Edit:Shortly after i had posted this, firefox had randomly crashed, and then the whole computer BSOD. It was weird because i only had a few tabs open a message board.

Edit 2:Well, im starting to doubt the temperature is the problem. Im guessing its just something with the memory or something to that effect. No blue screens, but 2 crashes, 1 while using speedfan. While using speedfan, though, i did notice that before playing a game, the temperature for "Remote 1" is 63 degrees Celsius, but while playing a game, it goes to upwards of 79 degrees.

Download the program wWHOCRASHED from this site and run it print the report and attach it to your next repsonse

http://www.resplendence.com/whocrashed

Randowm crashed could be caused by a defective memory stick so lets look at your report and we will see what are the files or drivers causing your crashes

TerasMinus

TerasMinus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Motherboard stuff.
Motherboard ID 02/02/2005-i865PE-6A79ZG0SC-00
Motherboard Name Unknown

As for using whocrashed, either it won't show a report from the last BSOD the other day, or i'm doing something wrong.

Edit:As of this edit, I just had a BSOD about 15 minutes ago. I thought maybe WhoCrashed would show something this time, but it didnt. This one happened with firefox open, which for some reason likes to crash at random as well. I would think it's a virus or something causing firefox, games, photoshop, etc to crash, but i've scanned this computer quite well.

Yet another edit:Starting to think i'm just a bit slow. When i click analyze it says to scroll the information window down, which is impossible, as there is no scrolling to be had. However, when I clicked on the tab "Dump Files" next to the report tab, it showed the error messages from the recent blue screens. So if that's what I need to show, then now I see I can do that.

Edited by TerasMinus, 16 August 2011 - 12:32 AM.