Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Did a Factory State Restore, Windows 7 still doesn't start up. Hel

• Please log in to reply

computerderp

computerderp

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My laptop BSODed yesterday about an hour after an arduous, day-long battle between me and what seems to be several viruses/malware that I got through downloading a Fedex email attachment which I now realize was a virus scam (I had recently ordered off of Amazon.co.jp and carelessly thought that Fedex was actually handling my items this time even though when I checked it's actually DHL that handles them).

I managed to get rid of all the viruses/malware that I could detect but it BSODs about an hour later. And since then it always, and without fail, BSOD's before startup and takes me right to the screen that allows you choose between using the startup repair and launching normally. Starting up in Safe Mode doesn't work, startup repair doesnt work, system restore doesnt work.

I then tried a full system restore (back to factory state) through the Dell DataSafe Local Backup thing that appears at the F8 advanced repair options (since I don't have any sort of external hd to backup my files and backing them up on my own harddrive always encounters this Restore7.exe error). The factory state recovery also didn't work because my computer still BSODs at the startup.

However, it does seem like it wiped my harddrive clean because my original username is no longer there and is replaced by "administrator" with no password when i have to login to do the startup repair advanced options. I'm not too concerned about my files because I can get them back later anyways and none of it is work-related or anything.

Maybe Dell DataSafe Local Backup isn't actually supposed to be used for the factory state but its the only thing i see in the startup repair that has it.

I'm not sure what info I'm supposed to put about my computer, but it's a Dell Inspiron N5010 with a Windows 7 Operating System. I don't know anything else about it besides that it's got a total of 500GB on the harddrive and I think 3 or 4 GB RAM.

At this point, any help you guys at the forum can provide would be greatly appreciated, because I'm on my older, less-good laptop that I really can only use in emergencies like this because of its dead battery (have to keep it plugged in like a desktop) and being prone to getting really hot.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
See if the Trinity Rescue Kit can help you http://trinityhome.o...ng=en&locale=en

computerderp

computerderp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

See if the Trinity Rescue Kit can help you http://trinityhome.o...ng=en&locale=en

Just as clarification, with the TRK self-burning version do I just click the executable file and it automatically burns to the disc I have put in my computer?

And when I put it into the BSOD-ing computer does it just run on its own without me having to do anything? If there is something I'm supposed to do for this particular problem which option do I pick?

There might be an explanation on the site you linked me about how to use it but either I haven't found it, or I simply didn't understand what I read or it might be so simple and obvious that there is no need for an explanation and that I'm completely missing it.

I hope you understand that I'm clearly not computer savvy and I appreciate you taking your time to read and help me out :) Thank you!