Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

"Copy File: Cannot Read From The Source File Or Disk"

• Please log in to reply

samwiches

samwiches

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I'm trying to copy some old files from one of my external hard-drives, onto a more recent one with bigger memory.
I've had no problem so far, I've moved about 70GB with no problems, but now there are 2 files which keep giving me this error.

I can't copy it from one hard-drive to the other, I can't create a copy on my desktop, I can't create a copy on the original harddrive. The only thing that I can do, is "delete" the file and have it sent to the Recycle bin, and I tried moving it to my desktop from there but got the same message, and can only restore it to it's original location.

They are videos files (.avi) and I watched them all the way through with no issues so the files aren't corrupt

I'm running Windows Vista, with admin permissions. If there's any more info you need to know, please ask

ps, wasn't sure which form to put this in, hope it's okay here

Edited by samwiches, 10 August 2011 - 10:47 AM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
There are a number of reasons why this may occur.
Right click the file and click properties.
What is shown please and especially on the Security tab, if there is one.

samwiches

samwiches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
This is what I see, there's no security tab (sorry for the bad Paint job haha)
It's exactly the same on the other file (other than the obviously name changes etc)

Attached Thumbnails

• Untitled.png

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try this
Click Start, in the Start Search box, type command. A list of of matches will appear above. Right-click Command Prompt in Programs list, and then click Run as administrator. You will likely be prompted for an administrator confirmation, or a password. Type your password or click Continue.
See this link
http://www.geekstogo...-administrator/

and then run the copy command rather than using the copy on the GUI of Explorer or the right click and copy.
ie: copy G:\ etc ( as in your screenshot) - new drive letter and the folder where you want it.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 10 August 2011 - 12:01 PM.

samwiches

samwiches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
I tried doing that, but the command prompt is giving me the same error: The system cannot find the file specified

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try creating the folder on the drive the file is being copied to.
Then use copy to folder for the file
Right-click on a file:

Posted Image

And up pops a nice dialog that you can use to easily drop a file into the right directory.

Posted Image

samwiches

samwiches

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
Nope that was unsuccessful as well, I just couldn't move it from the directory at all.

I've just ended up finding alternative films and replacing them, which seems to be the best thing to do right now, so, problem solved I guess

Thanks for all your help

eekstogo2013

eekstogo2013

• Pip
  • 1 posts
You got "can't read from the source file or disc " problem often because the files you are copying contain bad sectors. Ordinary file copying can not deal with bad sectors. You can use CBD(Copy Bad Disk) to copy those files without failure.