Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to use Windows Update since Dec 10!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

Follow the instructions here:-

How to move the Taskbar <-- You will need to either scroll down the page to read the advice and or click on:-

My Taskbar moved to the left, top, or right side of the screen.

On the actual page.

Next:

Please try Windows Update now...if in the event still not working follow the advice below:-

Download and run this MS fixit tool and then check if Windows Update is working.

If not re-run the FixIt Tool in aggressive mode .

Next:

Let myself know the outcome of the above when ready, thank you.

Advertisements

Richard Ingham

Richard Ingham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks Dakeyras.

The tip for moving the taskbar still didnt work :-(
All I get is the clock and calendar coming up asking me if I want to change the time/date.

Still wont update anything, and when I tried to run the MS Fixit tool I got the following error message, both in default and aggressive modes.

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2738."

Any ideas?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

The tip for moving the taskbar still didnt work :-(
All I get is the clock and calendar coming up asking me if I want to change the time/date.

OK out of idea's on this one to be honest...since primarily I only provide Anti-Malware support, what I will do however is seek a second opinion from the excellent IT Tech Staff we have here in Geeks to Go. So please bare with me on this, thank you.

Still wont update anything, and when I tried to run the MS Fixit tool I got the following error message, both in default and aggressive modes.

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2738."

Any ideas?

We should be able to rectify this particular issue so the Windows Update FixIt will work correctly, which we will do so once I have a answer for the other issue OK.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

The below is some advice about the currently installed memory on your Father in Law's machine...

Random Access Memory Advice:

893.76 Mb Total Physical Memory | 109.20 Mb Available Physical Memory | 12.22% Memory free

Though Microsoft claims Vista will run with a mere 512MB or 1GB installed depending on the version of the Vista Operating System in use...in my humble opinion a minimum of 2 GB is far better.

If you wish to upgrade the installed memory, Crucial have a small scanner(CrucialScan.exe)which is perfectly safe to download and run. Which will advise if the system can support any upgraded memory modules. They cater for the US/UK and Europe.

Next:

Going back to the Taskbar issue, try the advice on this page...

Unlock and move the taskbar

If still no joy check Quick Launch is not active and if it is remove the feature, then try and move the Taskbar back to it original position. To remove the Quick Launch feature...

Right-click on the Taskbar >> Toolbars > >> Quick Launch

Finally if still unable to move the TaskBar, reboot the machince into Safe Mode, then back into Normal Mode and try again.

How to boot into Safe Mode:

Restart the computer and as soon as it starts booting up again continuously tap the F8 key. A menu should come up where you will be given the option to enter Safe Mode, do so.

If any problems refer to this tutorial.

Next:

Let myself know the outcome of the above and we will go from there, thank you.

Richard Ingham

Richard Ingham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi again Dakeyras.

I managed to get into safe mode and then re-booted back into normal mode, still nothing doing.

Adding to the memory is something I will look into at some point, but unless it is a cause of the current problems, I have other priorities at the moment.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Did you try the other methodologies I posted about to see if the task bar could be moved? :)

Richard Ingham

Richard Ingham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yep, tried everything.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Yep, tried everything.

OK the only other recourse is too perform a roll-back with System Restore to a time before the current issue. Not ideal as we will probably have to start over the Malware Removal process again but these types of situations do occur from time to time.

With regard to the memory advice I provided, I do not think this is the cause of the task bar issue and it was merely some friendly advice as it will actually improve the machines overall performance with upgraded memory modules installed.

Perform a System Restore:

Click on Start(Vista Orb) >> All Programs >> Accessories >> System Tools >> System Restore

Choose a System Restore point to a time before the task bar became a issue. You may also refer to the below tutorial if you so wish:-

Windows Vista System Restore Guide

Re-scan with OTL:

• Right-click on OTL.exe and select Run as Administrator to start OTL.
  • Under Output, ensure that Minimal Output is selected.
  • Under Extra Registry section, select Use SafeList.
  • Click the Scan All Users checkbox.
  • Click on Run Scan at the top left hand corner.
  • When done, two Notepad files will open.
    • OTL.txt <-- Will be opened
    • Extra.txt <-- Will be minimized
  • Please post the contents of these 2 Notepad files in your next reply.
When completed the above, please post back the following in the order asked for:

• How is the computer performing now, any further symptoms and or problems encountered?
  • Both OTL logs. <-- Post them individually please, IE: one Log per post/reply.

Richard Ingham

Richard Ingham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi Dakeyras, thanks for the onging replies.

Can we forget the taskbar for now, as Dave is getting used to it being where it is, and concentrate on the update problem please?

I dont wish to sound ungrateful for the advice but if there is some sort of virus/bug on the computer I think we need to sort that first.

I will look into the memory issue after we have got things sorted. The problem there is money is very tight and I think Dave would be reluctant to spend unless he absolutely had to.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

thanks for the onging replies

You're welcome!

Can we forget the taskbar for now, as Dave is getting used to it being where it is, and concentrate on the update problem please?

I dont wish to sound ungrateful for the advice but if there is some sort of virus/bug on the computer I think we need to sort that first.

Fair play.

Next:

Now going back to the Windows Update issue, I think the original Fixit I asked your good-self to download and run did not work because of a error with the Windows Script Engine.

So please download this Fixtit from here to the Desktop, run it and follow the prompts.

Next:

Now re-try the other Fixit again as outlined here(it should still be on the Desktop, if not re-download it) in my prior post.

Then check if Windows Update is now working.

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Everything OK, do you still require assistance on your Father in Law's behalf?

Reason asking even though I am prepared to give a fair ammount of leeway giving the actual situation I will not leave this topic open for a protracted period of time as I could be assisting someone else, thank you.

Richard Ingham

Richard Ingham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I should get chance to go over tomorrow night, please dont pull the plug yet.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
OK fair play and thank you for the clarification. :)

Richard Ingham

Richard Ingham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hi again,

I managed to get around tonight. Not sure when I will get around again though so please bear with me. I am sorry this is taking a long time but if I could get things done any quicker, believe me I would.

I have downloaded and run both of the fixits listed above, the second one, also in aggessive mode. The computer is still unable to find any updates when I try to connect it to Windows Updater. Any more ideas?

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

I managed to get around tonight. Not sure when I will get around again though so please bear with me. I am sorry this is taking a long time but if I could get things done any quicker, believe me I would.

Fair play.

I have downloaded and run both of the fixits listed above, the second one, also in aggessive mode. The computer is still unable to find any updates when I try to connect it to Windows Updater. Any more ideas?

OK carry out the following please...

• Click on Start(Vista Orb).
  • Click on All Programs >> Accessories
  • Right click on Command Prompt and select Run as Administrator.
  • Click on Continue in the UAC prompt.
  • At the Command Prompt C:\Windows\System32> type in the following exactly:
  • CD C:\
  • Then depress the Enter/Return key, then type in the following exactly:
  • netsh winhttp reset proxy
  • Then depress the Enter/Return key.
When completed close the Administrator Command Prompt window, via typing Exit then depress the Enter/Return key.

Reboot the machine and try Windows Update again.