Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to use Windows Update since Dec 10!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Richard Ingham

Richard Ingham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
When I got here tonight Dave reported that the machine has recently been freezing and shutting itself down (something he has not mentioned to me before!!), thought you might want to know about that. When it has happened to me at work in past it has been a sign the machine is almost on its last legs, would that possibly be the case here?

As for the advice above, I followed it to the letter and it got as far as starting the scan where it mentions it is normally done in 10 mins but a badly infected machine may take longer.....

OVER 2 HOURS later it was still at the same stage, surely this cannot be right? I used alt-ctrl-del to open task manager to close it down and re-opened the browser to post this.

I know you want this tying up asap, as do i but I havent been home yet and now face a 45 min drive home, so wont get in til gone 10pm having left for work at 7am!!!

I'll try again on Sunday...... I am allowed 1 day off surely?

Advertisements

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
OK and thanks for the update. :)

To be honest giving the situation and that it appears to myself the actual Operating System may be damaged now due to the use of ARO 2011...either a reformat and reinstallation of the Windows Operating System and or taking the machine to a reputable local IT Repair centre may be the more expedient course of action since only so much I can do/advise without actual physical access to the machine.

Richard Ingham

Richard Ingham

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I agree, I think we have come as far with this as is possible. Thanks for your help.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi. :)

I agree, I think we have come as far with this as is possible. Thanks for your help.

OK and you're welcome!

Afterwards either reinstall Norton 360(or since the subscription will expire soon either re-purchase it again and or use one of the free-ware listed below)

Free-ware Anti-Virus:-

Then install all Critical Updates and Service Packs etc via...

• Click on Start(Vista Orb) >> All Programs >> Windows Update.
  • In the navigation pane, click Check for updates.
  • After Windows Update has finished checking for updates, click View available updates.
  • Click to select the check box for any found, then click Install.
  • When completed Reboot(restart) the computer if not prompted to do so.
Next:

This is a very helpful/useful set of advice from Microsoft: Microsoft Safety & Security Center

Any questions? Feel free to ask, if not stay safe!

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.