Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Weird computer problem, need help

• Please log in to reply

asusha

asusha

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi

I have a very weird computer problem, basically the computer screen will not start like it used to. When i press the power button everything in the pc turns on it seems but the monitor screen is black.

I tested the monitor at a friends house and it worked perfectly, i have also bought a brand new gfx card and the problem persists. I hope someone can help me because I am at a loss and have no clue what to do next. When i switch the pc on, everything inside seems normal, I have checked and rechecked all cables and connections.

Please help me, how can i find whats causing this?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
If your screens works great on another PC and a brand new video card did not fix your problem it might mean that your Video Card slot is not working.

Do you have the option to use an integrated video card or only the addon video slot, if you have also an integrated video card try using it to see if it will work there.

I would suggest checking your BIOS setting but since you cannot get an image at all it is useless, so you can try to reset your BIOS setting to their default value by shorting the CMOS jumper to see if this will help.

Other possible reason is a failling PSU that cannot deliver enough power anymore to initialize your video card.

Hope that will help, if anymore questions just ask.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

All he said

And, don't forget to check if the monitor actually gets power from the wall-plug, you wouldn't be the first... :)

asusha

asusha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
HI

I tried another video card (it didn't work), other video slot on motherboard (it didn't work), I connected screen to another computer (it worked), I try to changed location of ram sticks and I try to use just one or two in different slots and nothing worked.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Sorry for the late reply, life got messed a bit up lately.

I take it you are reasonably tech-savvy.
Did you check the preferences in your BIOS settings?

It is possible your MOBO is set to use the on-board graphics chip in stead of the (PCI-E?) video-card slot. This would be the only explanation left, I could think of.

Good luck :) and we would appreciate your response!