Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Trying to reinstall Windows 7

• Please log in to reply

computerderp

computerderp

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Is there a way to reinstall Windows 7 on a Dell Inspiron N5010 that keeps BSODing at startup? If so, how would I go about doing so?

My problem is that after running a factory state restore operation, Windows 7 still does not startup even though when I login to use advanced startup repair my username is gone with 'administrator' taking its place and I no longer have a password. This indicates to me that the restore did indeed delete all of my saved data on the harddrive but did nothing to help with Windows 7 startup, so now I have an empty harddrive with a Windows 7 OS that doesn't work properly.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
What information does the BSOD screen have? That may help determine what is causing the problem.

Sounds like it may be hardware though, memory or hard drive.

You could try the Recovery again but first make sure you disconnect everything connected to the computer except mouse, keyboard and display. Make sure all USB devices are disconnected (except above).

computerderp

computerderp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

What information does the BSOD screen have? That may help determine what is causing the problem.

Sounds like it may be hardware though, memory or hard drive.

You could try the Recovery again but first make sure you disconnect everything connected to the computer except mouse, keyboard and display. Make sure all USB devices are disconnected (except above).

As much as I'd like to tell you what's on the BSOD screen, it only so much as flashes for a fraction of a second before my computer goes to the 'windows could not start' screen with the choice between 'startup repair' or 'launch normally'.

Another bit of information I should've included was that this computer is a laptop. Should I disconnect the power cord? I'm not sure my computer's battery could last long enough to go through the recovery process unplugged. I've also attempted the recovery process twice, while still plugged to the power cord.

In the case that its hardware, what should I do? I won't be able to buy a new component for ages since I don't actually have a paying job right now.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
For a laptop, you definitely need to leave it plugged into the power adapter.

Use the built in touchpad, do not hook up an external USB mouse or keyboard. If you normally use a wireless mouse, remove the USB transmitter part.

After the recovery completes and it reboots, can you get into Safe Mode by pressing F8 during boot? If you you could open device manager and disable your video, network and sound (disable, not uninstall. The reboot and see if it comes up okay. If yes then immediately do a Windows Update and install all important updates and check the Optional updates to see if any are for hardware. If so select them as well, then go ahead and install them. After the reboot from that, go into device manager and enable the devices one at a time.

How old is the computer? Have you tried contacting Dell via their Live Chat?

computerderp

computerderp

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
When you say enable the devices one at a time, do you mean I enable one, then reboot, enable another, reboot, and so on? I just wanted to clear this up before I start because I want to do all of what you stated at once, do it right, and not have questions in the middle of it.

The computer with the startup problems is barely over a year old. I bought it June 2010.

I haven't contacted Dell yet, mainly because I pushed it out of my mind when I thought of it due to remembering a lot of people, both online and offline, saying contacting Dell for help doesn't really help and sending in the laptop for fixing costs quite a bit ($170ish I think). It sort of became a last resort on my part.

Yet again, thanks for your time and assistance.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
If it's still under warranty, contact Dell and make them fix it. You don't want to do anything that may somehow void the warranty.