Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Migrating from Windows xp to Ubuntu

• Please log in to reply

vinod407

vinod407

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
I've migrated from MS Windows XP to Ubuntu 11.04, as I'd unfinished install of XP and was having booting problems.
Now I can boot to Ubuntu 11.04, but what next? this is my home pc and there's no internet connection.
Pls help, I can't open any windows application, that's okay,
but I can't even install VLC player from my dump, can't view images, movie files, screenshots of which I can see.

Advertisements

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Ubuntu is not Windows, so you cannot run Windows software natively (there is a compatibility layer, but it doesn't always work).

VLC can be installed from the software repository. This require a download, but you can generate a package list with Synaptic Package Manager (in System - Administration or "Applications" if you are using Unity) then download the packages with another computer.

vinod407

vinod407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

VLC can be installed from the software repository. This require a download, but you can generate a package list with Synaptic Package Manager then download the packages with another computer.

I generated a package list & saved it in User/desktop the file had command like this -
#!/bin/sh

I had already downloaded the vlc player 1.1.9 for Ubuntu 11.04
On running this executable file in the terminal & then running the downloaded packages I get this error
Dependency is not satisfiable : vlc-nox(=1.1.9-ubuntu 1.3)

pls help

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Mark VLC for installation, Synaptic will add all necessary packages to the package list. Then create a package list.
After downloading all required packages, you can import them with Synaptic (File - Add downloaded packages, then point to the folder the deb files reside in).

vinod407

vinod407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Mark VLC for installation

How do you mark VLC in the synaptic package manager, under Files - Video Software - Only Totem player is listed
how to add vlc player, so that it shows under the synaptic package manager

Home PC - Ubuntu 11.04 offline
Office Laptop - Laptop Windows Vista - Online

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

Mark VLC for installation, Synaptic will add all necessary packages to the package list. Then create a package list.
After downloading all required packages, you can import them with Synaptic (File - Add downloaded packages, then point to the folder the deb files reside in).

don't forget there is no internet connection on the ubuntu machine,

try this, i don't use ubuntu or vlc so i can't say if it works, but i do use mandriva and i looked at the packages for vlc and they seem to fit

http://packages.ubuntu.com/natty/vlc,

i believe you can right click and install it as the package is a .deb

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
You can find VLC with the search box or look in Graphics (universe).
And you should not use the Packages website to install software, as packages usually have multiple dependencies, one single package won't be enough.
If you want to play DVDs consider installing libdvdcss.

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts

...this is my home pc and there's no internet connection....

.....Home PC - Ubuntu 11.04 offline.....

not to be a pain but twice the op has said that there is no internet connection,

vlc will only be available when there is an active internet connection and the repositories are updated,
vlc is not available on the live cd itself only through updating

vlc is available through the ubuntu software center without updating the repo's,
this is not synaptic and needs an active internet connection

vlc is also available through synaptic,
synaptic will need the repository information updating, for this an active internet connection is needed,

libdvdcss2 is also not available on the live cd

i have never come across any software that fails due to dependencies by installing from a full package,
why would they offer it if it fails ?

vinod407

vinod407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

I had already downloaded the vlc player 1.1.9 for Ubuntu 11.04
On running this executable file in the terminal & then running the downloaded packages I get this error
Dependency is not satisfiable : vlc-nox(=1.1.9-ubuntu 1.3)

Upon downloading the vlc-nox package I get the error, dependency is not satisfiable liba52-0.74

Now I've downloaded the liba52-0.74 and its supporting packages and will install the package today

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts

not to be a pain but twice the op has said that there is no internet connection,

vlc will only be available when there is an active internet connection and the repositories are updated,
vlc is not available on the live cd itself only through updating

I know that. Synaptic has the ability to create a package list that you can bring to another computer with Internet access and run. The script will download all required packages for you, including dependencies. You can then bring the packages back and install them on your computer.
It is also possible to transfer the package list to a computer without Internet access and update from there.

i have never come across any software that fails due to dependencies by installing from a full package,

Good luck resolving dependencies/conflicts then. Also, IIRC, a package installed manually using dpkg won't have its integrity checked (not sure about this, though). If you install unchecked packages from the Internet then, sooner or later, you will run into trouble.

calvert

calvert

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
i'll have to check the first bit, as i use urpmi

and please, i have been a linux user for 6 years and know a little bit

vinod407

vinod407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Good luck resolving dependencies/conflicts then. Also, IIRC, a package installed manually using dpkg won't have its integrity checked (not sure about this, though). If you install unchecked packages from the Internet then, sooner or later, you will run into trouble.

I sure need the luck, for I can't resolve this forest of dependencies and packages and updates, I can't connect to internet through the datacard, or else i would have downloaded them. Pleeeeeeeeeeease Help !

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
As I said in post #4:

Mark VLC for installation, Synaptic will add all necessary packages to the package list. Then create a package list (File - Generate package download script).
Go to another computer and download all files in that list. (Just copy the links from the script, it is like this: http://us.archive.ub...se_6-4_i386.deb Do not copy the "#!/bin/sh" line or the "wget -c" part)
After downloading all required packages, you can import them with Synaptic (File - Add downloaded packages, then choose the folder the deb files reside in). Synaptic will then mark them for installation. Click Apply - OK and you are done.

vinod407

vinod407

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Dear All,

Thanx for all your support, I could fix/update the necessary dependencies of the media player, which is now running, though it's quite a basic player. Plus, now I've taken an mts mblaze datacard modem and have connected to the internet.

As the net is now connected, I plan to use the synaptic package manager or the terminal to update the vlc player later.
Yaa, you were right solving the dependencies was like solving a puzzle.

Vinod

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Nice to hear that :)