Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD/CD Player stopped working (hp BD-ROM BDCTD03HA)

• Please log in to reply

Elvenwarrior2001

Elvenwarrior2001

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
I'm having a problem with my DVD/CD combo player on my HP dv3000 laptop. The hardware is "hp BD-ROM BDCTD03HA" according to the device manager. I was watching a movie and about halfway through it had trouble reading the DVD and then stopped working. The disc is new, and I've tried other discs, both CD and DVD and it doesn't recognize anything being in the drive.

I'm currently running Windows 7 Professional on my HP dv3000 (upgraded from Windows Home Premium a couple months ago) and everything has been running just fine for the year I've had it.

I've tried uninstalling the device and reinstalling it, I've tried Microsoft Fix It (no solution), I've checked for new drivers (they're all up-to-date), and still it's exactly the same: The device manager and my computer recognize the DVD drive is there, but otherwise putting a disc in it is unrecognized, whether it is a CD or DVD, new or old.

Any suggestions?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Sounds like the laser has failed. Your only option is to replace it at this point.
It is being recognized by the system because it can read the firmware information.