Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please HELP! Computer running unbelievably slowly!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

njclyne

njclyne

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi guys,

I'm writing this from another laptop as my own is running so ridiculously slowly it would take me about 3 weeks to convey my issues.

I have a 1 year old Dell Laptop, with Windows 7. The other day I turned it on and ran stupidly slowly and then said "Start Windows Backup" and it would not do this. Then said "contact manufacturer to repair/replace harddrive."

Eventually it booted and since then it takes about 20 mins to boot and even loading internet explorer takes about 3 minutes to load.
Also, the task bar is white/looks like it's safe mode (though I am not running it in safe mode right now)

Surely this is a malware/virus problem. I guess I will have to download whatever programs you guys suggest on THIS laptop, and then somehow transfer (with USB flash drive) them onto my screwed up computer.
Through this method I managed to put Microsoft Security Essentials on and it detected one item - Adware:Win32/OpenCandy - This is supposedly only a program which delivers unwanted advertisements. I removed it of course, but it didn't help much.

Trying to do a virus scan with MS Essentials is comically slow too.

If there is any other information that you need, I will happily describe whatever I can.

Any help will be much appreciated

Regards
Nick

Advertisements

Aaron

Aaron

Expert

• Expert
  • 3,155 posts
Hi, welcome to Geeks to Go :) !
I'm Aaron and I will be helping you with your problem(s).

Before we start I need to mention a few things:
  • Please post all the requested logs directly in your reply, do not attach or put them in Quote/Code boxes unless asked to.
  • Try to reply every day please, I'll try to do the same. If this topic is inactive for 3 days, then it will be closed.
  • Note that removing malware is not instantaneous, I requires a specific process to be removed completely. Running antimalware removal tools I didn't ask for might slow this process down.
  • If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

I don't think Adware:Win32/OpenCandy would cause this, so we'll have a look for more malware.

============ Step one ============

To be on the safe side, I'd like you to protect your computer from infected USB drives.

Please download Panda USB Vaccine

• Install the program (when asked, this program doesn't need to load at startup).
  • Laungh the program.
  • Press Vacinate Computer.
This will protect your computer from malware that might spread using infected USB drives from your infected computer.

============ Step two ============

Please download OTL to your Desktop.

• Double click on the icon to run it. Make sure all other windows and programs are closed to let it run uninterrupted.
  • Select All Users.
  • Under the Posted Image box at the bottom, paste in the following:

netsvcs
    %SYSTEMDRIVE%\*.exe
    %USERPROFILE%\..|smtmp;true;true;true /FP
    /md5start
    explorer.exe
    winlogon.exe
    Userinit.exe
    svchost.exe
    /md5stop
    %systemroot%\*. /mp /s
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /rs
    hklm\software\clients\startmenuinternet|command /64 /rs
    CREATERESTOREPOINT

• Click the Posted Image button. Do not change any settings unless otherwise told to do so. The scan wont take long.
  • When the scan completes, it will open two notepad windows: OTL.Txt and Extras.Txt. These are saved in the same location as OTL.
  • Please copy (Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy) the content of OTL.Txt and paste it in your next post. Do the same for Extras.Txt.

============ Step three ============

Download aswMBR.exe to your desktop.

1. Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it
2. Click the "Scan" button to start scan
Note: if you use Avast, please disable the automatic scan: put AV engine to None.
Posted Image

3. On completion of the scan click save log, save it to your desktop and post in your next reply
Posted Image

- Maser00

njclyne

njclyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi Aaron

Firstly, thank you very much for responding to my problem.

I'm in the process of doing all the things you are asking but of course, it's taking an inordinate amount of time. From first step (USB Vaccine) to doing the OTL scan it has taken over an hour.
While doing the scan a Windows message often pops up saying - "Windows detected a hard disk problem - Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk"
It gives me 2 options "Start the back-up process" pressing this results in next to nothing happening. Other option is just - Ask me again later.

Also says in the details: "Which disk is failing?" Disk name: WDC WD5000BEVT-75A0RT0 Volume C:\

Anyway, I'll be patient and post the results very soon.

Thanks again
Nick

Aaron

Aaron

Expert

• Expert
  • 3,155 posts
Hi

From first step (USB Vaccine) to doing the OTL scan it has taken over an hour

You did use Panda on your clean computer right? :)

While doing the scan a Windows message often pops up saying - "Windows detected a hard disk problem - Back up your files immediately to prevent information loss, and then contact the computer manufacturer to determine if you need to repair or replace the disk"
It gives me 2 options "Start the back-up process" pressing this results in next to nothing happening. Other option is just - Ask me again later.

Also says in the details: "Which disk is failing?" Disk name: WDC WD5000BEVT-75A0RT0 Volume C:\

Try this:

There are some bad blocks on your hard drive witch could cause problems, follow these steps to repair this:
  • Click Start, and then Run.
  • In Open, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
  • A new window named 'command prompt' will open, type chkdsk /r, and then press ENTER.

Note: it's possible you get this message:
    Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)

Type Y and then press ENTER to schedule the disk check. Restart your computer to start the disk check.

This scan can take some time, it is best not to use your computer while it's working.

njclyne

njclyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Ok so all i've managed to get for you is the aswMBR log.. I've tried several times to get the OTL one but it keeps going into "Not Responding"

Will keep trying.

Here's the aswMBR log (it didn't take long - however the OTL one was taking hours)

aswMBR version 0.9.8.978 Copyright© 2011 AVAST Software
Run date: 2011-08-12 22:12:22
-----------------------------
22:12:22.305 OS Version: Windows x64 6.1.7600
22:12:22.305 Number of processors: 4 586 0x2505
22:12:22.305 ComputerName: GENE-PC UserName: Gene
22:13:11.991 Initialize success
22:14:32.486 Disk 0 (boot) \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 -> \Device\Ide\IAAStorageDevice-1
22:14:32.501 Disk 0 Vendor: WDC_WD50 01.0 Size: 476940MB BusType: 3
22:14:35.387 Disk 0 MBR read successfully
22:14:35.387 Disk 0 MBR scan
22:14:35.387 Disk 0 Windows 7 default MBR code
22:14:35.387 Service scanning
22:16:06.991 Service MpNWMon C:\windows\system32\DRIVERS\MpNWMon.sys **LOCKED** 32
22:16:08.769 Modules scanning
22:16:08.769 Disk 0 trace - called modules:
22:16:08.785 ntoskrnl.exe CLASSPNP.SYS disk.sys iaStor.sys
22:16:08.785 1 nt!IofCallDriver -> \Device\Harddisk0\DR0[0xfffffa8004a9d060]
22:16:08.800 3 CLASSPNP.SYS[fffff8800180143f] -> nt!IofCallDriver -> \Device\Ide\IAAStorageDevice-1[0xfffffa8004998050]
22:16:08.800 Scan finished successfully
22:25:50.591 Disk 0 MBR has been saved successfully to "C:\Users\Gene\Desktop\MBR.dat"
22:25:50.607 The log file has been saved successfully to "C:\Users\Gene\Desktop\aswMBR.txt"

oh and I tried doing the disk check in the command prompt however i got this message:

Access denied as you do not have sufficient priviledges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode

Edited by njclyne, 12 August 2011 - 01:13 PM.

Aaron

Aaron

Expert

• Expert
  • 3,155 posts

oh and I tried doing the disk check in the command prompt however i got this message:

Access denied as you do not have sufficient priviledges. You have to invoke this utility running in elevated mode

Sorry, I was waiting until you posted about chkdsk but I didn't get any notification because you edited your post. Next time, better reply in an other post :)

You will need to go to Start -> typ cmd -> Then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter, then press Yes and it will have the privileges.
Might be a good idea to backup your stuff too, you never know.

- Maser00

njclyne

njclyne

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hey.. I've been trying to back up my stuff for the last couple of days with much frustration. Have had to go away for a couple of days (I'm a flight attendant) but am doing the best I can. Will do that scan and post the reply as soon as I can.
Cheers

Aaron

Aaron

Expert

• Expert
  • 3,155 posts
Ok, I'll wait for the logs :)

Aaron

Aaron

Expert

• Expert
  • 3,155 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.