Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

OTL log, usb device not recognized

• Please log in to reply

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello,
Most of these are normal.
1. If the problem is the Guest account appearing, you can disable it following this
2. Reinstall Virtual Expander from this file
3. This is a normal security setting of Internet Explorer, read here how to disable it
4 & 5 Are most probably due to User Account Control, a security feature of windows.
For number 4, try to right click on AVG's icon from the Desktop or from Start > All programs and select Run as Administrator. See if this helps. If not, Go to Control Panel and select Programs and Features. Find AVG from the list and double click it. When the setup starts, select Repair installation. Let it repair AVG and restart. Check if AVG is OK and tell me
For number 5, that's normal if you have User Account Control enabled. If you don't want to get this messages, you can disable it from here (Method #4 - Using Control Panel), but I don't recommend it though

Next:

Run a full scan with AVG and delete anything it finds

Next:

Tell me what other problems your computer is having, how is it working and if the camera issue still exists.
From now on, the problems that remain aren't caused by malware

Advertisements

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Did all your steps, AVG shield is back in place and AVG is updated. When I sign in somewhere as Administrator, do I have to un-sign?
Should I keep Malwarebytes on my computer, as I already have SuperAntispywareProfessional/SpywareGuard/AdAware/SpywareBlaster/AVGFree? Though these 5 did not keep this trojan from getting in. And we do not even know if it is the reason my camera is not recognized by my computer. Is there anything else I downloaded in this thread that I should/can delete?
Ran a full scan with AVG, with no threats. There were over 100 tracking cookies, which I am surprised were not removed with ATFCleaner. I still have the issue of User Controls and the pop-ups asking if I want to continue, and the shield with ATFCleaner, but I can deal with that in another forum.

Nancy

Virtual Expander did not install. I clicked Run, then went back and clicked Save. I am trying once again.
I find Virtual Expander in Programs. I right click on it, it does something, then disappears. I double left click on it, it blinks, then disappears.

I just noticed, on the bottom right of the monitor, there has always been an arrow to show the other icons. It is not there.

Edited by tofu5, 20 August 2011 - 09:33 AM.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello

When I sign in somewhere as Administrator, do I have to un-sign?

When you right click a program and run as administrator, you're not signing in as administrator, just running the specific program with administrator right. So you don't have to sign out, just close the program.

The free version of Malware Bytes antimalware is used just for scanning, so it won't affect performance or conflict with the other security programs. However you have too many security programs that significantly reduce performance and doesn't mean that they increase security due to their number. If I were you I would keep the antivirus (AVG), Mbam for scanning and Super Antispyware for additional security.

Following this shall disable all UAC pop ups.

The arrow that you're referring is hiding inactive icons (system tray programs). If none of them are open, then it will not show.
To check that this is active, right click on the taskbar and select properties. Go to notification area tab and select make sure that Hide inactive Icons is checked

Do you still get the message about virtual expander at start up? If yes, go to Control Panel > Programs and Features. Find Virtual Expander, double click it and see if you can repair install it

Next:

I'm going to remove the tools we used here, but we can continue trying to fix the USB problem next. Otherwise, you may want to return to the hardware forum so the techs can help you there.

Congratulations! Your logs are clean! :) Now that you are clean, please follow these precautions in order to keep safe:

Over the course of the fix you've used a variety of special tools to help with the cleaning process - none of these are of any use to you now that you're clean, and it's best not to have them hanging around on your computer.

Run OTL
  • Under the Custom Scans/Fixes box at the bottom, paste in the following

:Commands
    [resethosts]
    [purity]
    [emptytemp]
    [EMPTYFLASH]
    [CLEARALLRESTOREPOINTS]
    [Reboot]

• Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot the PC when it is done
  • Open OTL for the last time and hit the cleanup button. It will remove all the programs we have used plus itself.

Next:

Uninstall ComboFix from your computer:
  • Click on Start > Run
  • Type Combofix /Uninstall in the run box and click Ok. Note the space between the x and the /u, it needs to be there.
    Posted Image

Next:

Note: If you are using Firefox I would suggest the use of these add-ons:
  • NoScript - for blocking ads and other potential website attacks.
  • McAfee SiteAdvisor - this tells you whether the sites you are about to visit are safe or not. A must if you do a lot of Googling.

Next:

Automatic Updates for Windows
  • Click Start.
  • Select Settings and then Control Panel.
  • Select Automatic Updates.
  • Click Automatic (recommended)
  • Choose a day and a time when you know the computer will be on and connected to the internet.
  • Click Apply then OK.

Next:

Additional security programs - For additional security, the use of these tools is important:
  • Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. - Update the free version and scan with it often. It is an excellent scanning tool to have on your side.
  • The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer. This little program packs a powerful punch as it block ads, banners, 3rd party Cookies, 3rd party page counters, web bugs, and many hijackers. For information on how to download and install, please read this tutorial

Next:

Upgrading Java:
  • Go here and click Do I have Java
  • It will check your current version and then offer to update to the latest version, if there are any.

Next:

Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Next:

Keep a backup of your important files to prevent future data loss.

Happy safe computing !! :unsure:

Next:

Just a quick attempt, can you try turning the computer off, unplug it from the socket and then wait a moment, plug it again and start it. This may fix this glitch as described here

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
OTL finished.
Cannot find Run when I am in Start. Also, looked everywhere for Combofix and cannot find it. I even tried Revo Uninstaller and they cannot find it.
Keep trying for Virtual Expander, it does not like my computer.
Downloaded NoScript but Windows does not know how to open it, following is what they told me:

"Windows has the following information about this file type. This page will help you find software needed to open your file.
File Type: Firefox Browser Extension
File Extension: .xpi
Description: Compressed archive of primary file installation components – used by the Mozilla installer script to setup and install various applications. You may search the following Web site for related software and information:
Search the web "

Just to verify, do you want me to RevoUninstall SpywareGuard/AdAware/SpywareBlaster?
unplugged the computer for 5 minutes, the usb is still not recognized. The arrow is back in the bottom right.

I have gone twice to this:"Following this shall disable all UAC pop ups."
the box is unchecked, the computer has been rebooted twice, yet it has not gone away.

Edited by tofu5, 20 August 2011 - 11:48 AM.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello,
If you don't have the Run option, then click the windows key and the R key:
Posted Image
Then follow the instructions to uninstall ComboFix

Read here how to manually install an extension

Just to verify, do you want me to RevoUninstall SpywareGuard/AdAware/SpywareBlaster?

That's what I suggest you to do to increase performance and you're still having the same protection level, as the three I suggested will fully cover your needs. If you want them all it's OK, it's just a suggestion

Do all devices fail to connect through USB port, or just the camera? Have you tried to put it to another USB port?

Next:

Open device manager. Instructions here
Click Universal Serial Bus Controllers
Right click the camera and any Unknown Devices
Click Uninstall
then Reboot computer while camera is inserted in USB (and connected to the internet)

Is this computer a laptop or a Desktop Computer?

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Clicked Windows and R, no ComboFix in Programs.
In Device Manager under Universal Serial Bus Controllers, there is no Camera or Unknown Devices. There are 5 Root Hubs, 5 Enhanced Host Controllers, 1 Card Reader and 1 Composite Device.

Computer is a desktop.

Just backed up some Documents on a memory stick so the usb port worked with that. Appears to be just the camera that is not recognized.
RevoUninstalled SpywareGuard.

Edited by tofu5, 20 August 2011 - 12:54 PM.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
  • Hold the Windows key and while holding it press the R key:
    Posted Image
  • A program at the left edge on the screen should appear
  • Type Combofix /Uninstall in the run box and click Ok. Note the space between the x and the /u, it needs to be there.
    Posted Image

Next:

Did the camera came with any CDs? If yes, try to put them in the computer and re-install the camera's software / drivers

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
"Windows cannot find Combofix"

re-installed the camera software, went to Device Manager, nothing there I can see about a camera

Camera still not recognized. There is a slim chance that the problem could be the usb cable. I do not use it much, once or twice a month. Wonder if there is any way to test the usb cable? (cable is good just used it to charge the camera battery)
When I attach the usb cable from the camera to the computer, the light on the cable is red, then green, then red. should be green to work(while I was typing this, the light on the cable turned green and stayed green, but still would not download to the computer)

Edited by tofu5, 20 August 2011 - 04:01 PM.

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello,
As I'm a malware tech and I've tried a few simple solutions that didn't work, you best bet would be to return at your topic at the Hardware forum and post back that you're clean, and they should be able to assist you there better for this issue

Before you go from here, are there any other issues with the computer that you want solved?

Thank you

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
ok. will go back to Hardware forum.
I would like to stop that popop about Virutal Expander not starting and also get rid of the User Control issues(mainly with ATFCleaner) but I assume I can be helped at Hardware.
Thank you very much for your time. It is muchly appreciated. I am crossing my fingers we will get all my concerns resolved.

Nancy

Advertisements

michaelg9

michaelg9

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 2,949 posts
Hello,
Windows couldn't find ComboFix because OTL clean up routine deleted it.
You can download this tool and run it to make sure that it's entirely gone