Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 refuses to boot showing odd symbols

• Please log in to reply

LoganZG9163

LoganZG9163

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, i'm new to the site, so forgive me if i'm not posting this in the correct spot.

I got a new computer in march and just yesterday it started having a problem. It was installing a windows update and there was a power surge in my house(The computer WAS plugged in to a surge protector). I turned the computer back on, and it gave me the message that windows was not shut down properly and asked to boot normally or in safe mode.

So I decided to try booting in safe mode just to be sure since I wasn't sure if the surge caused a problem with the update. The computer boots up fine and gets to the Windows 7 Home Premium login screen, but no login selection comes up at all. It shows the Win 7 home premium background and normally it would ask me for my password for my account on the computer, but instead it shows an odd set of symbols. Question marks, squares, triangles, circles and other shapes as well. It shows them in a straight line, as if typing in a notepad, so I figured maybe the files got messed up and it was reading the language wrong(as in if you go to a japanese website it shows squares instead of the actual symbol).

I'm completely stumped on how to fix this, so any help would be MUCH appreciated. I do not have a recovery disk, the computer did not come with one and I stupidly did not create one. Its still under warranty, but I figured if it turned out to be something small then I should just ask online first before I send it off.

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

LoganZG9163

LoganZG9163

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
If anyone has any idea what it could be, please help me out. I've tried everything I can think of, do I need to just get a windows disk and re-install it or what?

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Boot your Windows 7 DVD. Access the System Recovery Options

Select Command Prompt.
Type chkdsk /r and press Enter

Allow it to run to completion. This can take an hour or more depending on the size of the hard drive.