Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB drives not working

• Please log in to reply

birchj

birchj

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Gateway NV79, and when I plug my mouse into the USB nothing happens. I also have a fan that I use that doesn't work either. I've been playing starcraft 2 on this thing, and sometimes it overheats and shuts down (hence the fan). Did I break something, or can I fix this? Tell me what else you guys need to know.

Thank you, Joshua B

Advertisements

birchj

birchj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Umm, new development. There are two ports on the right side of my laptop, and when only the mouse is plugged in it works fine. When both the mouse and the fan are plugged in, neither work. When just the fan is plugged in, it doesn't work. Hope that helps.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi birchj
What are the fan details make and model please also has the fan ever worked?
You should not need to rely on an external USB fan to cool your system, it would also cause more heat internally as more power is being used which forces system components to work harder which in turn generates more heat that is not being expelled sufficiently through the exhaust vents, when if ever was the inside of the laptop cleaned out of heat trapping dust and does the CPU fan appear to be working correctly (you will hear it increase its speed occasionally).
As a minimum for cleaning you should remove the battery, Ram cover and Ram and the HDD etc then use canned compressed air in short blasts through the various vents and openings, do not turn the compressed air can upside down as fluid may be expelled into your laptop.
For a more comprehensive clean follow steps 1-6 @ http://www.ehow.com/...way-laptop.html make notes of where things go, keep any different screws separate and note where they go, the same advice for using compressed air but additionally do not let the CPU fan spin freely as it can cause damage, hold the fan steady with a Q-tip or clean lollipop stick.
If you live in a particularly warm climate consider purchasing a laptop cooling mat such as (example only) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834997872 let us know how you get on or if we can assist in any way.

birchj

birchj

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
The fan is a Belkin F5LO55 Laptop cooling pad. that totally makes sense about it causing even more heat. The fan does work when I switch it to the left USB port (everything thing else works fine in all the ports, I think the problem is with the fan. I'll clean it, let you know how it goes.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Ok, good luck.