Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black screen with only mouse before login

• Please log in to reply

computerderp

computerderp

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I've been having a pretty stressful week with regards to my computers. Monday/Tuesday of this week my Dell Inspiron N5010 with a Windows 7 OS BSODed and now always BSODs right before startup so I cant use it. I already have another thread going about my Dell computer but now a problem pops up regarding my Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4830 with a Windows Vista OS; the one that I'm using right now.

This is a very recent event, and I tried to keep track of what I did so I could recount it here if I needed to.

Last night (night of August 11) I left my Toshiba laptop on to defragment the data overnight and set it to not sleep on its own while plugged to the power cord. When I got up at 9 in the morning my Toshiba had a black screen, was still on and making a weird and dulled 'brrr-rruh' noise over and over again. I couldn't get the computer the respond or get out of the black screen so I shut it down by holding my finger down on the power button.

I turn it back on and to my surprise I find out that it had a windows update overnight and was configuring the updates. However, it stayed on the 'configuring updates stage 3 of 3: 0% complete' screen for a ridiculous amount of time and so I get on our family computer, googled and found out that there is a windows update that causes windows vista to go through an endless loop. So I turned it off again, and restarted it and entered the F8 advanced startup repair and did a system restore to the latest windows update time (which was last night at 11-ish when I was still awake and using the computer), hoping that it would at least get rid of the endless loop. My Toshiba hasn't been in use for a long time (since June 2010) because of startup problems which were just recently remedied so I am just getting these particular updates now.

I got rid of the endless loop, but when my computer started up, it hanged on a black screen where only my mouse cursor shows up after the screen where you see the word 'microsoft corporation' with a loading bar above it. It hangs on the black screen for a while and then I get to the 'please wait' which lasts a lonnnng time before I can login. When I logged in, it also took a long time to load everything and my windows vista slowed to a crawl in everything; internet was slow, getting to control panel was slow, even right clicking a folder froze up the entire computer for a good 30-40 seconds before the menu popped up.

Accessing the family computer again told me that particular windows updates incompatible with vista could cause it to run terribly slowly. So I went about uninstalling all the windows updates that I got on August 12th 2011, and also some other programs I didn't need with the Control Panel. I restarted the computer and Voila! My computer is significantly faster than before.

However, the computer still hangs on a black screen with a mouse cursor everytime I restarted it, after the 'microsoft corporation' loading screen and before the 'starting windows' screen. I have googled for info of how to deal with this but with all the people who have a similar problem cannot log in, while I can. I did find another who had the black screen hanging and was able to log in but it was right after he logged in and not before.

Hopefully someone can tell me what I did wrong or what to do to fix it with my lengthy story, because I know little about computers. It was only yesterday (same day when I was defragmenting my Toshiba) that I found out such a thing as defragmenting even existed even though I've been using computers since 2000.

Advertisements

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
Have you tried Scannow?
Right click on command prompt and run as Administrator. Type or copy/past sfc /scannow. Press the enter key.