Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD then burning smell

• Please log in to reply

rogerbee

rogerbee

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello and I would first like to thank you for taking the time to read this. :)
I was playing a video game and I suddenly got the BSOD then I noticed a burning smell so I held the power button to shut it down.
I tried to pinpoint from where the smell was coming from but couldn't quite find out where it was coming from. It was sort of from the PSU but not.
Now when I try to boot my computer the heatsink fan spins really fast but nothing comes up on my monitor.
I thought perhaps the video card gave out so I plugged the monitor into the onboard but still nothing.
The last thing I tried to do was plug in my old PSU to see if it was that but still had the same problems.
I was wondering if the board fried or something? I wouldn't know if that's the case. If it is how could I check?

Thanks again!
Looking forward to your always amazing help!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Hello rogerbee.... Welcome to
GeeksToGo, :)
:unsure: :yes:

I'm sorry to hear about your issue. We will try to help you resolve this as soon as possible.
  • Please understand we are all volunteers and we are not here all the time.
  • Sometimes it may be a extended amount of time to get back to you. If it has been
    more then 3 days please shoot me a PM and I will try to get back to you quickly
    then.
  • Please do the following and supply the requested information as needed. If you
    don't understand my instructions please ask and I will try to explain them
    clearer for you.
  • Do not attempt any steps unless instructed or ask before to
    make sure they will not cause any further issues.

Sounds like the motherboard yes.
Is this a laptop or desktop?
Name brand or custom build?
If name brand what make and model?
If custom build what brand, make and model of the motherboard?
Is there still any warranty on the system at all?

rogerbee

rogerbee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hello rshaffer61 :)

It's a desktop and a brand build but I did install a 400w PSU and a Radeon videocard.
Acer Aspire AM1620-B1209A is the make & model.
It's not under warranty as it's been about 5 years I believe.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I still say the motherboard is the culprit here as you say when power is turned on the PSU still turns on and proven with exchanging the PSU it works.
One suggestion is to try the monitor on another system or a laptop if you can/ If monitor works then it is the system. If monitor doesn't work then you may have a bad monitor.

rogerbee

rogerbee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hm, well the monitor still works
Then it is my board.
one sec..

:)

:unsure:

Okay :yes:
haha.
Any reason as to why it happens? I've never had a board die on me in my years of repairing small computer problems.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Recent storms or a power surge.
Age or even because it is a electronic piece of equipment it could have just shorted out.
Looking at the motherboard you should be able to see something that is burned.
Check the capacitors for any bulging or the top popped open.

rogerbee

rogerbee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ah yes I do see them bulging and just a tad of leakage

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Verification the motherboard is dead. :unsure:
Replacement is your only option at this point.
Now here is the hard part. In order to replace the motherboard and not have a issue with the OS you need to replace with the exact model you have now. If you can get me the model number on the motherboard I can try to find a exact replacement for you. :)
You could also contact Acer themselves and they may have a exact replacement motherboard for you.

rogerbee

rogerbee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The motherboard model is n15235
When you say an issue if it's not the same exact model do you mean I'd have to reinstall the OS? It wouldn't be that much of a problem for me.
I was thinking of just finding a quick cheap one on good ole craigslist for $45

Edited by rogerbee, 13 August 2011 - 08:07 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yes since this is a branded system the OS is what is known as a OEM preinstallation. What this means is the OS is Married to the original motherboard. Replacing with anything else according to Microsoft's EULA you would need to reinstall the OS from scratch. The kicker is if you use the recovery disks or the recovery partition to do that the drivers will not be correct for your new motherboard which means then you would need to get all the drivers for the new motherboard.
Now just as a thought you could upgrade the motherboard, CPU and memory to something newer and then instead of XP you could purchase Win7 and have a new OS also.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm going to be gone for a couple of hours but I will answer any other questions as soon as I return. :)

rogerbee

rogerbee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
NP ! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK I'm back. I can now answer any further questions you have about the motherboard update. :)

rogerbee

rogerbee

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
`hey i'm back again as well :unsure:
while i wish i could go all out with a cpu and ram upgrade I can't.
So for the moment I'm just looking to get a motherboard to get it up and running again.
I was wondering if you could help me out on picking one from newegg.com that uses my current hardware with a max of $70 :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Start HERE as NewEgg has a topic on replacement for motherboards for that exact one you have. Let me know if you find one there that will work.