Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remove tracking cookies

• Please log in to reply

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Hi guys, I would like to know of a program that totally deletes all cookies (especially tracking cookies and tracking programs) from my computer - although I have full protection from an Internet Security and Anti Virus program, it takes a long time to run this after each computing session LOL, I'd like something that is fast and convenient, and importantly, completely thorough - your help/expertise/knowledge of same would be gratefully accepted, many thanks

Ricky!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop
  • Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Download TFC by OldTimer to your desktop

• Please double-click TFC.exe to run it. (Note: If you are running on Vista, right-click on the file and choose Run As Administrator).
  • It will close all programs when run, so make sure you have saved all your work before you begin.
  • Click the Start button to begin the process. Depending on how often you clean temp files, execution time should be anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or two. Let it run uninterrupted to completion.
  • Once it's finished it should reboot your machine. If it does not, please manually reboot the machine yourself to ensure a complete clean.

Background info courtesy of DonnaB Thank you

As for TFC, this is a tidbit of an article I found a while back by a MicroSoft MVP.

TFC (Temp File Cleaner) will clear out all temp folders for all user accounts (temp, IE temp, java, FF, Opera, Chrome, Safari), including Administrator, All Users, LocalService, NetworkService, and any other accounts in the user folder. It also cleans out the %systemroot%\temp folder and checks for .tmp files in the %systemdrive% root folder, %systemroot%, and the system32 folder (both 32bit and 64bit on 64bit OSs). It shows the amount removed for each location found (in bytes) and the total removed (in MB).

Before running, it will stop Explorer and all other running applications. When finished, if a reboot is required the user must reboot to finish clearing any in-use temp files.
-- TFC only cleans temp folders.
-- TFC will not clean URL history, prefetch, or cookies. Depending on how often someone cleans their temp folders, their system hardware, and how many accounts are present, it can take anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more. TFC will completely clear all temp files where other temp file cleaners may fail.

Thank you for your reply, but that article states that it will not clean cookies ............. this si so confusing LOL

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Then you can turn them off completely. This article was from 3 years ago but the steps should still work in the newer versions of IE and FireFox.

You can control cookies through your browser.

In IE7, click on:

'Tools' > 'Options' > 'Privacy' > 'Advanced'

Allow First-party cookies and block Third-party cookies. First-party cookies are set by the web site you are actually visiting and some won't work without cookies enabled. Third-party cookies are set by e.g. advertisers on that web site, these are the ones you particularly don't want.

You could set First-party cookies to 'prompt' but you'll probably find it annoying after a short while.

If you're using Firefox, click on:

Tools > Options > Privacy

Accept first-party cookies, don't accept third-party ones, keep until you close Firefox and select to clear private data when you close Firefox.

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Then you can turn them off completely. This article was from 3 years ago but the steps should still work in the newer versions of IE and FireFox.

You can control cookies through your browser.

In IE7, click on:

'Tools' > 'Options' > 'Privacy' > 'Advanced'

Allow First-party cookies and block Third-party cookies. First-party cookies are set by the web site you are actually visiting and some won't work without cookies enabled. Third-party cookies are set by e.g. advertisers on that web site, these are the ones you particularly don't want.

You could set First-party cookies to 'prompt' but you'll probably find it annoying after a short while.

If you're using Firefox, click on:

Tools > Options > Privacy

Accept first-party cookies, don't accept third-party ones, keep until you close Firefox and select to clear private data when you close Firefox.

Thank you so much for replying to my post, I already have those things done :) what I want, is to remove completely! all cookies, tracking cookies and tracking programs from my computer after I have finished my computing sessions! So when I start a new session, my computer starts clean :unsure: thank you very muck sport,

Ricky

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
IN IE go to
Tools then to Internet Options.
From the first window you should be able to delete History which includes all cookies.

In FF go to Tools and then to Privacy.
There you can delete your History and\or Individual Tracking Cookies.

Also the cookies are nothing more then roadmap of you have been and in some cases some websites won't work without them being enabled.
My post 4 tells you how to completely disable them.
I'm not sure what tracker program you are referring to unless you feel like you have a active infection on your system.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Or you can use CCleaner.

Note that most tracking cookies are good. They are what allow you to log into a site without having to enter your login credentials every time. They keep track of your personal settings for those sites. With CCleaner, you can designate what cookies you want to keep when cleaning - nice for sites you visit regularly.

Of course, there's always InPrivate Browsing (in IE).

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Or you can use CCleaner.

I was thinking the same thing.., CCleaner is a great temp-file cleaner.., BUT:
I do want to warn you about the Registry Cleaner function inside CCleaner. Do NOT use that,
It has no real use and can only create more problems then you'll ever be able to solve... :unsure:

I have another tip as well: depending on what browser you are using (press here for Google Chrome, it's much quicker, safer and simpler then IE), you can use the "AdBlock Add-on to protect yourself even further.
Click here for AdBlock for Chrome or here for AdBlock for FireFox and FireFox itself

Good luck :) and stay safe!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I disagree completely with your comments about CCleaner's Registry cleaner. It's usefulness may be debatable - and for another discussion, not here in this thread. But the product is used daily by millions and millions and there is no evidence to suggest it will create more problems - especially unsolvable ones.

Other Registry cleaners I might agree with, but Piriform has been around for years, and CCleaner is their flagship product. It is refined, not too aggressive (as some Registry cleaners are), it prompts for backing up BEFORE making changes. And changes are easy to back out of, on the rare occasion that is needed.

But, to that, I will say don't run the Registry cleaner too, because that is not part of the solution for this thread.

And for the record, never use a Registry cleaner to fix a broken computer.

Jacee

Jacee

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 994 posts
  • MVP
(free) SuperAntiSpyware will remove tracking cookies http://www.superantispyware.com/

Advertisements

Ricky_22

Ricky_22

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Or you can use CCleaner.

Note that most tracking cookies are good. They are what allow you to log into a site without having to enter your login credentials every time. They keep track of your personal settings for those sites. With CCleaner, you can designate what cookies you want to keep when cleaning - nice for sites you visit regularly.

Of course, there's always InPrivate Browsing (in IE).

What exactly does that inprivate browsing mean and do? I noticed it, but am not familiar with it's actions or purpose LOL so I'm wary!

Thnx all you guys for your replies, much appreciated!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Remember, Google (or Bing or Yahoo Search) is your friend.

what is inprivate browsing in Internet Explorer

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

But, to that, I will say don't run the Registry cleaner too, because that is not part of the solution for this thread.
And for the record, never use a Registry cleaner to fix a broken computer.

Defraggler & CCleaner are great, I fully agree,
but the registry cleaner is of no use (= only a thing that could go wrong) for the OP, so I wrote a warning.
I'll rephrase my words next time, thank you for the pointer...

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

but the registry cleaner is of no use

That's your opinion and there are many who disagree. But as I noted, that's for another discussion. Not this one.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

but the registry cleaner is of no use ... FOR THE OP !!!

That's your opinion and there are many who disagree. But as I noted, that's for another discussion. Not this one.

Registry cleaning usable to delete tracking cookies? Posted Image