Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

remove tracking cookies

• Please log in to reply

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Registry cleaning usable to delete tracking cookies

Right. Registry cleaners are not used to delete cookies. I was responding to the comment that CCleaner's Registry cleaner, "...has no real use and can only create more problems then you'll ever be able to solve...." That's just not true or there would surely be 10s of millions of users with totally unsolvable Registry problems out there. And there isn't. That old, and worn out warning is from over a decade ago when Registry cleaners IN THE WRONG HANDS could indeed cause irreversible problems - and major headaches for those of us trying to resolve them. But let's be realistic, Piriform would not have survived as a company if its extremely popular and widely used flagship product, CCleaner, kept breaking computers.

There are some very reputable companies who have put their names and reputations on the line for registry cleaners. Comodo makes a good one that let's you test run with the changes before it makes them permanent. Pretty cool - if you take the time to use that feature. And of course, CCleaner prompts to backup the Registry before making changes too. Always essential, often overlooked by those "wrong hands".

My only problem today with some of the popular cleaners is their marketing weenies promoting their cleaners as "fixers" - as "optimizers" promising to make your computer run better than it ever did! Horsepucky!

I use CCleaner often. Not every week, or month. But after I make major changes to my system. After ensuring all is fine, I will run it. For example, if I swap out graphics cards, anti-malware solutions, or install a major service pack, after a few days of all working fine, I'll run CCleaner.

I often install programs for testing. When done testing, I'll uninstall and run CCleaner to tidy up after. I've been using CCleaner for at least 5 years when it was still called Crap Cleaner and have yet to have it cause problems on any system I've ever used it on that I could not easily undo - and that need has been a rare, and not recent occasion at that.

I don't normally recommend using registry cleaners because their "benefits" for most "normal" users are not clear. But when I do, CCleaner's is the only one because (1) it is NOT aggressive. It does not find 1000 things wrong that must be fixed now or you die. And (2) it prompts to backup the Registry first, and the restore from backup works.

So the question becomes ONLY, do Registry cleaners, in particular, does CCleaner's Registry cleaner provide any benefits? Maybe. Depends on the user, and how he or she uses his system. The question is NOT, will using CCleaner's Registry cleaner break my computer. There is NO evidence to suggest it will. "Providing benefits is a totally different issue from causing damage.

And it is not fair either, IMO, to lump all cleaners into the same pile. They are not all created equal.

That said, it is always a wise precaution to backup the Registry first. Anything could happen from a power failure to a hard drive crash to RAM failure to excessive CPU heat - any of which might, given the right circumstances, wreck havoc on the Registry - and not be the fault of the cleaner.

I also recommend, if you want to use a cleaner, running the cleaner from the beginning when the computer is new and then make it a maintenance routine every so often after that. Running a cleaner for the first time on a machine that's several years old and been through several major updates, patches and upgrades is scary - even for me. I would not attempt it, unless that machine was fully updated and working perfectly. And even then, good thing there's ERUNT and backup images.

I now return control of this thread back to our previously scheduled programming. :)

Advertisements

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
:unsure: That last sentence cracked me up, Posted Image
Don't you worry, I'll be tuning in much more often, I like Channel Digerati Deluxe :)

CCleaner is great.
I use ATF at the moment as well, just to get acquainted with the "regular GTG advice" but I prefer CCleaner.
Simple installation, easy settings... 2 clicks and *poooff* gone are all the temp files. Superb.
Same goes for Piriform Defraggler, simply magnificent.

CCleaner Registry Cleaner is not very likely to mess up everything. That's why I already said I'll rephrase my words next time.
BUT, I did actually had an issue with the Registry Cleaner. After removing a language pack for an old .net framework, I used CCleaner Registry Cleaning to accidentally remove a "vital" key. I made a backup, so not everything was lost, I could still boot in safe mode and repair it. I still consider that luck though, as I'm no registry expert at all.
I made that error.., and Yes it was the newest version and Yes I reported it to Piriform, which very nicely thanked me for the feedback and kept me up to date on the update they did to fix the issue. Great company...!

Taking into account I once had an issue myself:
Wouldn't it be wise, if I advise CCleaner to an user that asks something about deleting cookies, give him a warning about the Registry Cleaning Function? (Rephrased, not as in my first post)

Thanks for your thorough explanation again by the way.
Seriously, please can I use parts of it for a CCleaner Canned? With a clear credit to Digerati ofcourse!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Wouldn't it be wise, if I advise CCleaner to an user that asks something about deleting cookies, give him a warning about the Registry Cleaning Function? (Rephrased, not as in my first post)

Because this is a controversial topic, and some sites go ballistic at the mere mention of CCleaner because it has a registry cleaner, if you are helping someone clear their cookies, you don't have to mention CCleaner. There's nothing wrong with Windows' own Disk Cleanup, and in fact, it is one of the few cleaners that will trim down System Restore points too.

This is my canned text for CCleaner:

CCleaner is a popular alternative cleaner for more advanced users. During installation, uncheck the option to install the Yahoo toolbar, or download CCleaner - Slim for the version without the toolbar. Before first use, check Options > Settings and ensure Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 24 hours is unchecked. You can also configure CCleaner to leave cookies from the trusted sites you visit often. For advanced users, CCleaner has an excellent Registry tool that checks for "issues", cleaning unused "orphaned" entries missing shortcuts. It is very conservative and as such, is much safer than more aggressive cleaners. It always prompts the user to backup the Registry before making changes. Like any Registry cleaner, it is best when used to maintain a Registry in good order, rather than to fix a long neglected, and broken registry.

Bottom line, if you don't feel comfortable recommending or suggesting it, don't.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Thank you so much Bill :)
The canned is cut-pasted, and I will personalize it a bit.
Before I post it, I'll inform you, I do not wan't to upset you with a Canned that is not 100% correct but bares your name.

I love CCleaner, especially for users browsing in other ways than IE / FF. It also recognizes many many other applications that create temp files, to spam a bit more :yes:
It's just that I want to inform people about the small risk an included feature may give, if I provide any advice a/o links for something. I have to be more careful composing my posts though...

And please understand that my arguments and debate(s) are not meant disrespectful in any way, I'm a student and don't care about status (as of yet).
I care about accuracy of information, and I consider you to be a reliable source, if it's worth anything.
The fact I think in Dutch, makes things a bit more complicated as well, sometimes. But I'm going miles off topic now, so

Have a nice weekend, thank you again, and see you around I'm sure :unsure:

* Off to feed the ducks and walk the dog *

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

And please understand that my arguments and debate(s) are not meant disrespectful in any way, I'm a student and don't care about status (as of yet). I care about accuracy of information

I feel the same way - and I am always learning new things too.

and I consider you to be a reliable source, if it's worth anything.

Thanks. I try - but I am constantly verifying because (1) I forget things, and (2) things change - especially in electronics.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Not to rain on anything but as the following canned states GTG does not advise the use of any registry.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

The other options in Ccleaner can be used but as a rule we do not suggest any Registry cleaner. :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Yeah, I've seen that, and countless other articles on both sides of the argument. As I noted above concerning CCleaner (not all cleaners, just CC),

That's just not true or there would surely be 10s of millions of users with totally unsolvable Registry problems out there. And there isn't. That old, and worn out warning is from over a decade ago when Registry cleaners IN THE WRONG HANDS could indeed cause irreversible problems - and major headaches for those of us trying to resolve them. But let's be realistic, Piriform would not have survived as a company if its extremely popular and widely used flagship product, CCleaner, kept breaking computers.

Also, it is too easy to lump all cleaners into the same category. Not all registry cleaners are equal and it is unfair to trash all because a few of them.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In the end we have GTG not advising the use of any registry cleaners regardless of our personal feelings about it. :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
And as I said earlier, I don't normally recommend Registry cleaners. But I frequently do recommend CCleaner regularly for cleaning out crud.

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
*running around in many circles here.. help*

But seriously, thanks for all the info, both of you. :)

Edited by Amst3rDamag3, 21 August 2011 - 05:36 PM.

Advertisements