Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HD In Dell Inspirion gone

• Please log in to reply

Noitora

Noitora

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I received this computer to take a look at whats going. I have been trying to install a clean copy of windows 7 for it but its not showing a partition or a hard drive what so ever. the only hint I have received is that the User messed with the commands diskpart at the command prompt and cleaned the partition apparently. I am fairly new to things like this and wonder if there is any possibility of immediate help. I have tried to see if I can auto detect it in BIO but it being a Dell Inspirion it wont let me activate or deactivate auto detect on the laptop, or I cannot figure out as how to.

Advertisements

Amst3rDamag3

Amst3rDamag3

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts
Can you see and change the first BOOT DRIVE?

If so, set this to the DVD-drive, and reboot with the installation disk in place.
It might or might not work, but it's step 1.

It is possible that Dell requires you to give an administrator password or something, refer to the manual for this, or the Dell helpdesk.

Good luck :)

Note: re-installing the OS will cause you to lose all data currently placed on the system drive (C:\ for example)
Note 2: there's a lot to find about "partitioning" and "recovery disc" here at GeeksToGo!tm

Noitora

Noitora

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I already have changed the Boot device to USB BOOT since I am using that, didnt work, then DVD/CD boot, same situation. I can start up the installation it just wont create the partition because apparently there is no partition or hard drive present, when it is clearly there plugged in.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,710 posts
There are many different models of the Dell Inspiron such as 1110, 1370, 1545 etc which model is this please.
From your OP;

but its not showing a partition or a hard drive what so ever. the

From post #3;

it just wont create the partition because apparently there is no partition or hard drive present, when it is clearly there plugged in.

The HDD may be physically present but it is clearly not mechanically working, is it listed in the BIOS? If not physically remove the HDD, check it for damage/dust then clean the contacts before replacing the drive, you could also remove the CMOS battery to restore the MB back to the factory default settings, let us know if you require assistance with this.
You say you are attempting to partition the HDD and do a fresh install of W7, are you aware that you need to either format the present partition or create a new partition before being able to do the install either way you must format part if not all of the HDD first this was the reason Amst3rDamag3 brought to your attention that the present data on the HDD will be lost, check out the attached link for guidance http://www.sevenforu...indows-7-a.html Good luck and let us know how you get on.