Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue Screen of Death and other error messages

• Please log in to reply

chucksg

chucksg

• PipPip
  • 40 posts
I have a Dell Precision 380 running XP Pro. In the past couple of weeks from time to time I have been getting the Blue Screen of Death. The error is OX-50. This seems to happen more when my daughter is playing games. I looked around online and found what may be the solution, the video card or the memory. My video card is ATI firegl V 3100, I updated the drivers and the BIOS. I have 2-512 mb of memory and four slots. Earlier this year I bought 2 extra 512 memory sticks. So I replaced my old memory with the new ones and everything works fine. When I put all 4 memory sticks in so I can get 2 GB I get an error message X300 Pro 128mb Bios P/N 113-A33405-100. How do I get the computer to see all the memory? Can memory cause the Blue Screen of Death? Here’s one other thing it seems it’s taking longer to load all the desktop icons.
Thanks!

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Memory can definitely cause a BSOD.

According to crucial.com, the memory for the 380 should be:

DDR2 PC2-5300 • CL=5 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-667 • 1.8V • 64Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT928939

Is that what you bought? Are all 4 the same?

chucksg

chucksg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
2 sticks are 512mb 2Rx8 PC2-5300E-555-12-G0
512mb, DDR2, 667, CL5, ECC

The other 2 sticks are 512mb 1Rx8 DDR2 667MHz CL5
PC2-5300U-555-12-DO

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
That should be okay.

I would try using the two new sticks and 1 old and see how that goes. If problems, replace the old one with the other old one you have and try again. Sounds like one or both of the old sticks of ram have a problem.

chucksg

chucksg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
There are 4 slots for the memory, 2 white and 2 black. I put the 2 new sticks in (white slots) and everything works fine. I added one more stick to the black slot and rebooted. error message ECC and Non ECC Dimms is not supported. If I cahnge out the memory sticks that are in there now, and put the ones that don't work in the black slots in the white slots They work (why). Maybe somethings wrong with all the menory, Would it be better to buy new memory and start over?
Thanks for the help

chucksg

chucksg

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
Heres one more thing, Now when it's not being used it won't come back on. move the mouse and nothing happends just a black screen. After reboot it takes a long time to load desktop icons.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Sounds like it's going into Hibernation and won't come out of it. This is often caused by a driver problem, video or network are the primary suspects.

I have a Precision 370 running Windows 7 and I don't allow it to Hibernate, I disable that and instead use a screen saver and power options to turn off the monitor after 10 minutes and hard driver after 20 minutes.