Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boot problems on new pc when installing 64 bit OS ( both cd and remova

• Please log in to reply

gandallph

gandallph

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello

Got myself a new pc but have problems installing OS on it.
First tried booting from cd ( with primary boot ) but couldn't start it . Always got the message "Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key "

Having no success with this , made a removable device to boot from .
When plugged-in , in bios doesn't show the HDD at boot options , instead i got "USB:ADATA USB Flash Drive 0"

Also tried all possible options to but all i can do with this , is start windows setup but when it comes to formating and re-partitioning my hdd i see only one partition ( c:\ ) and that's my removable device .

Can't delete partition to re-partition my hdd , but all i can do at that point is install OS on my remov. device.

pc config:
Intel Core i7 i7-870 2.93 GHz , socket 1156
Motherboard ASUS P7P55D-E, socket 1156
Memory quad channel Kingston 16 GB DDR3 1600 MHz XMP, 1.65V
Graphic Card MSI GeForce GTX480, 1536MB GDDR5, PCI-E
Hard disk WD Caviar Green 2TB, 64MB, S-ATA II
DWD-RW SONY 24XDVDRW,AD-5260S-OB
Sirtec 600W ATX2.3 ,ventilator 120mm , 2rail-uri 12B , PFC active

Bios Info:
Version 1404
Build date 10/29/10
EC version MBEC-0031

Any help or advice is appreciated !
Thanks

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
I am assuming that since you are in the XP section that you are trying to install windows XP as your OS, if you are make sure that your sata devices in the BIOS are set to IDE mode and not AHCI mode which is for VISTA and 7 only.

Also check on which SATA port your HDD is connected to, after looking at your manual I see you have 6 x Intel P55 sata port 1 x JMIcron esata port (for external devices or removable) and 2 x Marvell 6.0 gbs connectors and since your HDD as a 6 gb transfger rate you can connect it to it or one of the 6 regular sata port just make sure it is not connected to the esata one.

If you are using the Intel P55 sata port make sure that in the advance menu that the JMIcron and Marvell sata mode are set to disable so that their respective controllers will not interfere.

Just make sure your BIOS detects your HDD before trying to install your OS.

Since your SONY 24XDVDRW is a sata devise, where is it connected to on your motherboard and doers your BIOS detects it.

Edited by Alzeimer, 14 August 2011 - 07:10 AM.