Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

DVD-RW drive not reading some disks

• Please log in to reply

galec

galec

• PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
3 yr old Lite-on DVD-RW LH-20A1S. It is not reading OEM disks. It will read my backup copies of OEM, data CD-Rs and audio disks. It will not burn, sez no disk in drive. The power light comes on steady, the drive runs, the mouse pointer has the disk icon flashing next to it. While exploring my computer, sometimes it locks up while trying to use the drive. It ran fine the last time I installed a program (feb/mar and those disks are not being read right now). I have air dusted it, uninstalled the driver and found a firmware update at softpedia. This will not install - "No matched drive detected. This utility is only for LITE-ON DVDRW LA-20A1S drive. Detected drives: 2-0-0-0 D: WD Virtual CD 1110 2018, 2-0-1-0 E: LITE-ON DVDRW LH-20A1S 9L08" Running winxp home sp2.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

Running winxp home sp2.

Try updating to Sp3 and see if that helps, it is possible however that there is a partial drive failure.
If no luck one of these may help:
1. Uninstall the drive through Device Manager.
Restart computer. The drive will be automatically reinstalled.
or...
2. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060
Restart computer.
or...
3. Download, and run http://www.dougknox...._cd_dvd_fix.htm
Double click on cdgone.zip to unzip it.
Right click on cdgone.reg, click Merge.
Accept registry merge.
Restart computer.
or...
4. Go to Device Manager, click a "+" sign next to IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers.
You'll see two items:
- ATA Channel0 (or Primary Channel)
- ATA Channel1 (or Secondary Channel)
Right click on each of them, and click Uninstall. Confirm.
Restart Windows. They'll be automatically reinstalled.

Thanks to Broni for the above instructions

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
#1 did not work. #2 needs sp3 to run. #3 did not work. #4 This is what I have listed under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers: Intel Ultra ATA Storage, Intel Serial ATA, TWO Primary IDE channel and TWO Secondary IDE channel. The advanced settings for the IDE controllers are different for each one listed. I did not delete them. Wondering if this may be the problem and which one has the correct settings. I have no clue what the settings should be.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
First thing I suggest is installing Sp3, not only may it automatically resolve this issue your computer is vulnerable to security and infection attack without it, also worth checking is that the internal data lead is secure.
I`m not aware of any newer optical drives that require their own drivers to be installed but for firmware updates see
http://codeguys.rpc1.../firmwares.html
We can come back to #4 later if the issue is not resolved.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
On my laptop I copied the OEM disc to a CD-R and I was able to load the program using the above drive in question, although autoplay did not work. Why is that?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Check the info @ http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330135
Also notice the recommendation to upgrade to Sp3

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I'm not concerned with the autoplay not working since it does on audio cds. My question was why does the drive read a copied OEM disc and not the OEM?? As for sp3, I think I remember a lot of issues when it first came out so never installed it. I am trying to upgrade some programs so I can upgrade to win7.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts

. My question was why does the drive read a copied OEM disc and not the OEM??

There is no definitive answer for this I`m afraid, some drives are just selective on the disks that they will work with even when the drive is new, the possibility that the drive is failing should also be considered.

I think I remember a lot of issues when it first came out so never installed it

I can only advise that you install Sp3 the decision however is entirely yours.

I am trying to upgrade some programs so I can upgrade to win7.

Just in case you havn`t done so already run the W7 upgrade adviser to help you along;
http://windows.micro.../upgradeadvisor

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
Thanks for all your advice. I will prob just use an old IDE cd drive when I install win7. If the existing sata dvd drive doesn't work w/ 7, guess it's time for a new one!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
You are welcome, good luck with the upgrade and let us know when you are up and running.

galec

galec

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts
I told my husband the story of copying the disc and how the copied one worked. He said it's the weight of the disc that isn't recognized. He says it has happened in his disc changer w/ music cds. Oh, I won't be up and running win7 for a while. I still have programs to buy ($$$) before the upgrade. Can't afford to have programs not work w/ win7 that I use to run a business.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,006 posts
Yes it is a more common problem than you would think, you wouldn`t expect to have to worry about the density of a disk after all would you, FWIW this can happen with the least to most expensive disks and drives, anyhow good luck.