Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Building my first custom computer

• Please log in to reply

dstrout

dstrout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
OK, so I am ready to order. The final build is as follows:

Mobo: BIOSTAR A870U3 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard - $69.99, $59.99 after rebate
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition - $87.99, $79.99 after $8 coupon code
PSU: CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 V2 430W - $49.99, $39.99 after rebate
RAM: G.SKILL Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) F3-10600CL9D-8GBNT - $43.99
Case: Azza Mid Tower Computer Case Orion 202EVO - $49.99

The other pieces (USB PCI card, TP-Link Adapter, etc.) are the same. I am also ditching the hard drive, I will be using one I already have around. By ditching the HDD, mailing in some rebates, using some Newegg coupons, and getting some items cheaper on Amazon, I have gotten the final price to $283.51. Not a bad price for what I think will be a kick-[bleep] machine. What do you guys think?

Advertisements

dstrout

dstrout

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I received the components and have built the computer. Aside from a noisy fan I am replacing, the build is a success. It performs well, and it should continue to do so for a while, with the good specs on it. Just ask for a third-party cooler for Christmas, and I can try some overclocking. Thanks for the help, iammykyl and stettybet0.

Edited by dstrout, 21 September 2011 - 05:55 AM.

iammykyl

iammykyl

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 7,659 posts
Gday.

Thank you for the update.
Pleased to hear the build is a success, Posted Image

If the fan you are replacing is a 120mm and 3 pin plug, I would get a 4 pin PWM one and install as the back exhaust. When connected to the system fan 1 header, the Mobo will control the speed according to the temps. Example, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103069

Edited by iammykyl, 21 September 2011 - 08:23 AM.