Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Win 7 Security 2012

• Please log in to reply

Kirstie Clohesy

Kirstie Clohesy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
i was on the internet on my lap top and a pop up came on asking if a program could have permission on my computer, it said it was a windows program but i clicked no just in case, but for some reason now my laptop has this virus called "win 7 security 2012" it doesnt let me go onto the internet at it, it comes up with an error page saying that the site is corrupted and has trojans etc, ive tried several pages such as google and facebook and it all comes up the same.

The program makes you believe its a anti virus protector and asks for credit card details, obviously i havent given them anything, it also has things like "24 viruses found, click here to remove" and its just taken file names from my computer.
i have a free nortons anti virus thing running but it didnt warn me about it and when i do scans it doesnt show anything
i tried going to remove programs and its not there and i cant find it anywhere in the computers hard drive, as far as i know it isnt a keylogger so i dont think any of my personal information has been stolen but i need to get rid of this virus asap, i've tried googling on how to and it all involves having to use the internet which i cant do because the virus wont let me.

helpp? D:

Advertisements

RKinner

RKinner

Malware Expert

• Expert
  • 19,800 posts
  • MVP
Sounds like they have upgraded from their 2011 version.

Can you get into regedit? (Start, All Programs, Accessories, right click on Command Prompt and select Run As Administrator. Continue. Then type regedit and hit Enter. Continue.) You might be able to fix it from there.

Then follow the instructions here: http://www.2-spyware...urity-2012.html

Also if you right click on the clock and select Task Manager does it come up? Click on Process and find a three letter.exe file and stop the process.

If you boot into Safe Mode with Networking can you get on the Internet?
(Reboot, and when you hear the beep, see the maker's logo, or it mentions F8, start tapping the F8 key slowly. Keep tapping until you see the Safe mode menu then login as the Administrator (usually no password required.). If you can't get on as Administrator then use your usual login. If you can get to the internet then follow the instructions at:
http://www.bleepingc...t-security-2011

Does email work on your sick computer? Sometimes you can zip up the stuff you need and attach it to an email and send it. Do you have a USB drive or the capability to burn a CD and another computer? (Maybe a friend's). IF so get the programs from the above link and put them on the USB drive or the CD then move them to the desktop of the sick computer.

Ron