Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Steps to move everything from my work PC

• Please log in to reply

Gregg123

Gregg123

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
Hi,
I am soon to be moving to a new Company and basically want to move everything from my old PC and be able to recreate it on the new PC when I get there. Obviously, moving documents is pretty simple but I want to move all the programs & everything as well.

This is not a simple transfer to a new computer I need to put everything on an external hard drive first.

Is there one simple way to move everything? Some programs can just easily be put on the new PC but what about some programs that require a Serial Code or have settings I want to move as well?

The PC is running Windows XP.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Advertisements

Hellknight

Hellknight

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Gregg123 - you indicate this is about you work-computer, and that you are switching jobs/employers, correct?
Why then would you need to move everything? In general, your work-computer, including software, is provided by your employer, and the computer, and the software on it, is that employer's property. Also, pretty much all work-related documents will generally be considdered the property of the employer, and taking them with you to a new employer can get you in serious trouble.

Gregg123

Gregg123

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
I have a lot of personal stuff on there as well. I am currently working in Armenia so things don't really work here in the same way they do in normal parts of the World!

Just don't want all the hassle of starting with a blank computer when I get to the new place. If I can slot in the external hard drive and fire everything up as it was before that would be great.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
While this can technically be done, there are several problems in the way. The big issue is the copyright laws Hellknight mentioned. Armenia is a member of the United Nations as seen here and as a member nation, it has agreed to abide to the international laws that protect copyrighted "intellectual property" of the citizens and organizations of its "member states". Intellectual property includes tunes, movies, published documents, and software.

So while things may not "work" the same in Armenia as they do elsewhere, and while government [and possibly corrupt] officials may turn a blind eye [with hand sticking out], the laws still affect us all. The OEM licensed software installed on the old computer belongs to the old company and is tied to the old hardware. Any "retail" licensed software can be transferred, but you must [legally] have the license (and key codes), and the disks (if not downloaded) in your possession, and the program must be uninstalled from all other computers.

Clearly, you have stated you want to transfer those programs from one computer to another computer, from one company to another company. In effect, you are asking us to help you steal software, and we don't do that here.

Your personal "data", if your old company allows it, can be legally moved. Programs cannot.