Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezes and/or bluescreen viruses [Closed]

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Krazo

Krazo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
hey havredave, i've been really busy lately but i will give the other antivirus a go and check the updates and such tomorrow if i can.

Advertisements

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
I've got plenty of time, take as much as you need. :)

Krazo

Krazo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok well some things i have noticed are and error comes up saying windows module installer has stopped working. also when i use google chrome i don't think java scrip is working (i don't know what the problem with that is) and also Internet explore only works sometimes. i tryed to install the updates twice and i gave me errors both times (sorry i didn't right them down), but i'm doing it again and we'll see what it comes up with.

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
I don't know whether you've tried or not, but do this for your Windows updates, per a post I did a few weeks ago:

Hit Windows Update (Start -> Programs -> Windows Update)

Write down what updates of high priority that are available. Uncheck all of them except one, and press the Install Updates button.

If the update goes smoothly, repeat with the next update that's available. If it does not, make a note on your list of updates which one failed, and move on to the next one.

Get done all of the updates that you can finish.

Also - did you install an antivirus again? They're far from the only ones available, but I've suggested two that you could try, if you wish.

I have a feeling that updates will eventually fix your explorer module issue, but if not, I have things we can do there as well.

Krazo

Krazo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
If all goes well i should have the results of the updates to you later today or tomorrow.

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Sounds good. Don't forget to let me know what you chose to do about antivirus.

Krazo

Krazo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
alright here they are... finally haha

1. Cumulative Security Update for ActiveX Killbits for Windows Vista (KB2618451)

Download size: 39 KB

2. Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows Vista (KB2618444)

Download size: 6.8 MB

3.Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2479943)

Download size: 465 KB

4. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2481109)

Download size: 1,020 KB

5. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2503665)

Download size: 185 KB

6. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2506212)

Download size: 574 KB

7. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2507618)

Download size: 291 KB

8. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2507938)

Download size: 264 KB

9. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2508429)

Download size: 325 KB

10. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2509553)

Download size: 195 KB

11. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2510581)

Download size: 456 KB

12. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2511455)

Download size: 307 KB

13. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2535512)

Download size: 94 KB

14. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2536275)

Download size: 174 KB

15. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2536276)

Download size: 292 KB

16. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2544893)

Download size: 414 KB

17. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2564958)

Download size: 1.2 MB

18. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2567680)

Download size: 211 KB

19. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2570947)

Download size: 164 KB

20. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2579686)

Download size: 296 KB

21. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2588516)

Download size: 487 KB

22. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2619339)

Download size: 195 KB

23. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2620712)

Download size: 58 KB

24. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2633171)

Download size: 1.7 MB

25. Security Update for Windows Vista (KB2639417)

Download size: 1,012 KB

26. Update for Windows Vista (KB2492386)

Download size: 3.3 MB

27. Update for Windows Vista (KB2505189)

Download size: 2.6 MB

28. Update for Windows Vista (KB2522422)

Download size: 230 KB

29. Update for Windows Vista (KB2533623)

Download size: 473 KB

30. Update for Windows Vista (KB2541763)

Download size: 190 KB

31. Update for Windows Vista (KB2563227)

Download size: 113 KB

32. Update for Windows Vista (KB2633952)

Download size: 475 KB

You may need to restart your computer for this update to take effect.

Update type: Important

Install this update to resolve issues caused by revised daylight saving time and time zone laws in several countries. This update enables your computer to automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2012. After you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.

More information:
http://support.micro....com/kb/2633952

Help and Support:
http://support.microsoft.com

there are also some optional updates if you would like me to check them as well. but the updates above are just the important.

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Yes, try each of those updates, in turn, individually. Uncheck all but one of them, and try the update. Let me know which one of them actually fails. If one fails, and the others after it complete, re-try the failed one later. Sometimes one update can fix the issue causing another to fail.

Also, let me know what you chose to do for antivirus protection, and if it can complete a full scan (try after updates too).

Did you have any luck removing uTorrent with Revo?

This thread has been going on for a long time! If you're a little less busy than you were, let's see if we can make some progress. :)

Krazo

Krazo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I did try to install the updates and those were the ones that didn't install, would you like me to try to install them again? Also when they didn't install a window would come up and say windows modal installer has stopped working. uTorrent was uninstalled with Revo. i downloaded security essentials by Microsoft, i will run a scan on it as soon as possibly. yes it has been going for a long time so i agree lets' get this done and dusted!

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
In that list of updates that didn't work, did you try them one at a time, and those are the ones that are still left after doing that?

If so, that's quite a list, but I'll see if I can't figure out what the commonality is. There are also a few 'large hammer' methods we can use to nudge the Windows update system that might work. I'll get into those with you probably on Tuesday, but I may have something for you this weekend. 3-day weekend for me, and I won't be around much, but we'll see :)

Good to hear you put Microsoft Security Essentials on - yes, please do a full scan with it, and let me know if it finds anything.

After the scan, try to install those updates again. If you get an error again, please write it down word for word and I'll look for more specific fixes than the 'large hammer' ones I alluded to.

Advertisements

Krazo

Krazo

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
yeah those are the ones that didn't install, so i've tried to install security essentials twice and both times it hasn't worked it said that windows modal installer has stopped working just like it said when the updates didn't install. so i tried avast but that web sight didn't work last week or today either so i don't know what's what's happening there.

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Ok, let's see if we can't get Windows Update to work.

Please click here and run the Microsoft Fixit for Windows Update.

If you run into any trouble or warnings while running the Fixit, please stop and let me know.

If the Fixit completes normally, reboot and try to do those Windows Updates again.

havredave

havredave

GeekU Moderator

• GeekU Moderator
  • 1,711 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.