Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will not start up.

• Please log in to reply

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yeah there's a "PC Source" nearby, been there once.. Guess they're my best bet. But I don't see how this happened really. It was running just fine before, I restarted it 'cause I un-installed Modio.. Then it did that configuring thing...Let it do that, and then this happened..

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A hard drive is a mechanical piece and sometimes you will get what is called the Click Of Death, slowing down, system errors, rebooting on it's own or not booting at all.
Sometimes it takes a while and other times it just dies.
I just find it strange the bios is showing no hard drive at all.

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I did do a few of the things listed on this website to try and speed up my pc: http://www.delete-co...y-computer.html ... I did do something in the C: that started with petaf or something similar..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I did do something in the C: that started with petaf or something similar..

Not sure what you are referring to here but are you saying before you did this you were able to get into windows?
Did you use a Registry Cleaner and then this all started?

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yes, before all this I had no problems running my laptop. And Registry Cleaner, no I don't believe I did anything with that, besides look at them. I didn't download anything either, everthing I did was on my laptop already.

It may take a minute on my iPod, but I'll see if I can find some of the things I did, okay?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

It may take a minute on my iPod, but I'll see if I can find some of the things I did, okay?

OK thanks this may help me figure out something. I will suggest you enter the BIOS again and double check and see if the hard drive is identified. Most of the time there is a area that lists all your drives.

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ok here's one thing I did, just the top step though: http://www.delete-co...-windows-7.html

and how do you check that? The ESC start up menu, f10: BIOS Setup?

Edit: okay, yeah this is one thing I was talking about, the prefetcher.

Edited by Zibbiezone, 16 August 2011 - 09:54 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Was it after doing this the issue started or were there other steps also?

The ESC start up menu, f10: BIOS Setup?

Yep that is it. :)

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
A mix of both really, I did more than just that, and then it messed up. I'm still looking through to find other things I did. I did defrag the hard drive I THIINK. I know I did something called disk clean (that's the name of the program)

And okay I'm in the BIOS, now where do I look? Also, should I load setup defaults?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Loading defaults will not hurt anything and it can always be changed later.
Defrag or Disk Cleanup should not have done what is happening now.
Prefetch really should have no bearing on bootup since it is designed to only help in starting programs faster once you are in windows.

Advertisements

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Well.. Maybe http://www.delete-co...hard-drive.html ? I don't know, all the pages on there seem the same to me..

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
I did run test (the f1 or 2 option on ESC) and they all failed. Also in the BIOS diagnostic log there's absolutely nothing on that.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I did run test (the f1 or 2 option on ESC) and they all failed. Also in the BIOS diagnostic log there's absolutely nothing on that.

What test exactly? Did it not find any hard drive or it did and ran a diagnostics which failed?

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
A start-up test, system tune-up, hard disk and memory test, all of which failed. Did not say why.

And BIOS managment, that did nothing though, update or rollback, as it said "failed, BIOS update not found for both options

Edited by Zibbiezone, 16 August 2011 - 10:17 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
We never suggest a bios update unless it will add some functionality to the system.
All test failed especially hard drive tells me a issue with the hard drive then. Does it even identify the hard drive before the test?
memory you tested and it showed good so I'm not sure why it says it failed. System tuneup most likely due to the hard drive issue.