Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will not start up.

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Well the actual diagnostics shouldn't take more then a few minutes but it will depend on how busy the shop is. Also how many systems are ahead of yours.

Advertisements

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
They charge $30 to look at it.. How much on average does a new hard drive range from?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It will depend on the capacity but HERE they are as low as 39.99 for a SATA 250 gig laptop drive. You will need to know if the drive is SATA or PATA to get the right interface with the laptop. The shop should be able to tell you that.

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Thanks so much, you've been a great help!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
This topic will remain open so if you have any further questions or need suggestions please just post and I will answer ASAP. :)

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
A new hard drive means a basically new computer right? Like all the content and stuff will be gone..

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yep unless the shop can somehow access the old drive and backup any data you need to save. Programs will have to be reinstalled also as those cannot simply be transferred over.

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Ahh well.. Rather lose them and be able to use the laptop, then have them and not be able to get to them. Anyways.. I'll post on here in a few days, HP is sending me some disc to try and fix the problem. If it doesn't, they said they would furnish a new hard drive (I think.. I'm under warranty)

Thanks again for all your help! :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear and just for my information are they sending you a set of Recovery disks?

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yup. They are.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
That is great to hear. I hope it works and if not you already know you can get a replacement hard drive now. :)

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
So.. The recovery disk has no effect.. And I have to pay $1 for a new one, 'cause I'm still under warranty, and they want the old hard drive back. Now I just have to get a tiny screwdriver to fit the hard drives screws.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
1 dollar for a new hard drive and that is all? That isn't to bad really when you think about the price of one. Once you get the new hard drive then the Recovery Disks should work with no problem.

Zibbiezone

Zibbiezone

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
Yeah, one dollar, only if I send the old one back within 15 days... So I have to take the ol one out, and get it ready for the delivery man to send back. Save him a trip.. And time.

But since I don't have much choice, seeing as nobody will take me, so I have to take it out myself. Could you link me to a easy guide to that? iPod capatable, since that's all I've got. Maybe even for the model as well? That's only if you want, though.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Could you link me to a easy guide to that? iPod capatable, since that's all I've got. Maybe even for the model as well? That's only if you want, though.

Link for what exactly?