Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista BSOD

• Please log in to reply

Communication

Communication

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've been using my Acer Aspire 3680 for quite some time now, and I restarted the computer using the power button an upon re-booting up the computer immediately shut down again for nothing, so I decided to go into safe mode to see if anything was wrong and upon loading up safe mode it froze in mid-boot. I wasn't sure what the problem was so I rebooted again and as usual it asked me to launch a start up repair. In start up repair it ask me to load up drivers which are no where to be found, and when I try to system restore it won't let me and when I try to run test it won't let me, so I restarted and tried to run windows normally. When I do, I get a Blue screen and a quick reboot. Best I can catch on the screen is that it's saying something about removing/disabling anti-virus installed.

Advertisements

Communication

Communication

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Bump, I really need help.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Communication
Sorry to hear that you are having issues with your laptop especially one that advises you remove your AV software when the laptop will not stay on to allow you to do so.
Possible causes may include overheating due to dust, a clogged or failed CPU fan and a clogged heatsink, bad Ram, a failing or failed HDD and a corrupt or damaged operating system.
When if ever was the last time that the inside was cleaned out of heat trapping dust, can the CPU fan be heard when you power up.
How many sticks of Ram do you have? If more than 1 with the battery removed and the AC adapter disconnected press the power button and hold it for 30 seconds to get rid of any possible static charge, remove both sticks of Ram, blow out the slots and then try 1 stick of Ram at a time slot 1 first then slot 2, any change?
If you have valuable data on the HDD removing it and placing it in an external IDE type USB HDD enclosure and backing it up to another computers HDD should be a priority, an example enclosure http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817182145
Do you have the OS or boot disk that may have been supplied with the laptop when new? This will be required if the OS has become corrupt and requires a repair installation or missing drivers installed, unfortunately a failed HDD is terminal and the best you could hope for is being able to retrieve your data.
Have you recently made any hardware or software changes that may have caused this?

Communication

Communication

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
I've never cleaned out the inside for trapped dust, and yes the fan can be heard.
Also, this laptops an older model it didn't come with any OS or boot disk.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

I've never cleaned out the inside for trapped dust, and yes the fan can be heard.
Also, this laptops an older model it didn't come with any OS or boot disk.

See post #3 check the other advice and post back with an update, overheating and Ram issues are strong contenders as the cause.