Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create a FREE account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you sign in.
Create an Account Login to Account

how to backup my data and replace the hard drive

• Please log in to reply

schoolbus

schoolbus

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I was told that I should request how to backup my data and replace my hard drive because my problem is that it is always going back to the American Trends page and the last sentence on the page reads:

Pri Master Hard Disk S.M.A.R.T. status Bad, Backup & Replace.
Press F1 to resume

But when I press F1 it goes to a different page where I can press delete to setup but nothing happens when I do anything so when I exit setup, it takes me back to the American Megatrends page above and I can't get out of the loop.

If that sounds like a hard drive problem,what can I do to back up my data and also I will need step by step info how to replace my hard drive.

Also, please go easy on "tech talk". I apologize for that.

Thank you in advance...

Similar Topics: how to backup my data and replace the hard drive     x

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
do you have any information about your system is it a desktop or a laptop
what kind of hard drive is it,brand, size and connection (sata or ide)

this is how a sata connection looks
sata

this is how a IDE looks

desktop ide

laptop ide

SATA is the same in laptops and dekstop

also do you already have a replacement drive?

if so is it the same connection as the other drive?

we have a couple of options,you can make a clone of you hard drive how to clone a hard drive

if that doesn't do the trick you can install your OS(operating system) on the new hard drive and hook the old one up as a slave drive (secondary drive) and copy all the data of that way.

if you can't get the job done with that there are some more options but i don't want to bore you with them right now :)

schoolbus

schoolbus

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, it's a desktop Compaq Presario , IDE Hard Drive, powered by ASUS, INTEL inside, Pentium 4, 2.20 GHz
I think you mean is this the original hard drive? If so, no it has never been replaced.
Hope all your questions were answered but I'm not sure of the brand and size of my hard drive.

If you need more info about my computer, let me know how to get it and I will retrieve it ASAP.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
i need to know if you have a replacement hard drive?

so we can try to clone the hard drive!

let me know

schoolbus

schoolbus

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Are you referring to the actual hardware or a CD? I don't have either. Can you please tell me how to get one and how I would describe the one I will need? Thanks for putting up with my ignorance on this subject.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
yes I'm referring to the actual hard drive.
you need a new one to replace the old one, you can go to your local computer store and ask for a ide hard drive or order this one My link or something simulair just make sure its a IDE drive!!!
if you go to the store and they ask if PATA or ATA is ok too just say yes :)
and make sure it is a 3.5" drive!

when you have a extra drive we can start recovering data or even simpler just make a clone

if you want to know what cloning is and what it means read this
you don't have to i can talk you true everything without you reading that!

let me know if you have any questions

schoolbus

schoolbus

• Pip
  • 9 posts
OK I'll see about getting one and I'll post again when I get it. Thanks again..

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
no problem!

schoolbus

schoolbus

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, I finally purchased the new hard drive. It is a PATA 7200 RPM 320 GB. My son in law removed the old hard drive out for me but I told him about you mentioning cloning the data. He is not familiar with that. Can the data be retrieved from the old hard drive even though the computer would not boot up? I hope I wasn't wrong by having it removed. The new hard drive is not installed yet..

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,805 posts
Hello,

If you want to retrieve the data off the old one it will need to be connected as well as the new one connected up. This is where it gets a little tricky...

First things first. We are dealing with a device that plugs into the electric plug in the wall. So remove the power source!

The most important thing you will need to do is identify each drive, one as Master and one as Slave. This is set by using little jumpers over pins in between where the power and data cables connect. There should be a picture or diagram on each hard drive that shows the positions for this. Make one drive Master and the other Slave. This is so the computer knows how to talk to each hard drive separately and they will both show up in their own right as being connected.

The old IDE hard drives connect by a ribbon cable, it has one end plugged into the motherboard, and then two connection points at the other end because you can have two hard drives connected to the one cable. It looks like this:

Posted Image

And you will notice they have a keyed notch so the cable should only fit one way. So both of the drives will need to be connected with this cable. Also both of the drives will need power from your power supply. IDE Drives had a power connection that looks like this, the 4 pins on the right of each drive:

Posted Image

And the power cable is called Molex and looks like this.Posted Image

Once everything is connected, let me know if you can see them both listed when you first turn the computer on (The "American Trends" page as you call it).

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Hello,

If you want to retrieve the data off the old one it will need to be connected as well as the new one connected up. This is where it gets a little tricky...

First things first. We are dealing with a device that plugs into the electric plug in the wall. So remove the power source!

The most important thing you will need to do is identify each drive, one as Master and one as Slave. This is set by using little jumpers over pins in between where the power and data cables connect. There should be a picture or diagram on each hard drive that shows the positions for this. Make one drive Master and the other Slave. This is so the computer knows how to talk to each hard drive separately and they will both show up in their own right as being connected.

The old IDE hard drives connect by a ribbon cable, it has one end plugged into the motherboard, and then two connection points at the other end because you can have two hard drives connected to the one cable. It looks like this:

And you will notice they have a keyed notch so the cable should only fit one way. So both of the drives will need to be connected with this cable. Also both of the drives will need power from your power supply. IDE Drives had a power connection that looks like this, the 4 pins on the right of each drive:

And the power cable is called Molex and looks like this.

Once everything is connected, let me know if you can see them both listed when you first turn the computer on (The "American Trends" page as you call it).

Do what troy said... that how you hook up a IDE hard drive! but before you do that write down the part numbers of you hard drives and make sure you know witch is the one with all the data we are going to need that later, this is assuming both of your drives have different part numbers!!!

after that download this make sure you select the .ISO file and burn this to a CD this

make sure you pc is set for boot on CD first.

if you are not sure how to set your computer to boot from cd read this before you boot up the PC.

once you have set this and insert the CD you will get this screen

[attachment=52047:screenshot.gif]

select HDD that will bring you to a simulair screen and there you select disk cloning.

you will get will get 7 options to choose from, i normally use EaseUs Disk Copy (Disk Copy is totally free software that allows you to copy your disks or partitions regardless of your operating system, file systems and partition scheme.)
have the program load and then click next.

after you clicked next you select disk copy (this will copy all of you data to the new drive)

the you will be prompted with a screen where you select you hard drives first you select you the drive with the data (you can see the part numbers on the screen make sure you select the right drive!!!! if you select the wrong drive it will still clone but it will clone the empty drive and this will result in all of your data being deleted!!!!!)

after you selected the right drive click next and select the target drive and click next.

this will take you too a confirmation screen double check if you selected the right drives and that you data disk is being cloned to the new and empty disk!

click proceed

it will prompt a screen are you sure you want to clone (if not 100% sure you selected the right drives click NO)

this will start the cloning process it can take up to a couple hours to finish.

when its finished shut down the computer and take out the old hard drive.

put the new hard drive in the slot of the old hard drive and connect the cables, before you do this make sure the drive is set for "master" or "cable select"
[attachment=52048:build_pc_xp2000_maxtor_40gb_jumper_matchup.jpg]

make sure you use the information written on you hard drive and not the one on the picture since that is a example

once hooked you hooked this all up the right way boot up you pc and your problems should be solved without have to reinstall you OS (operating system)

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

OK I'll see about getting one and I'll post again when I get it. Thanks again..

any news ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured