Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PC restarts randomly; boot problems (going on and off)

• Please log in to reply

ShadowLoom

ShadowLoom

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have neglected this problem for a long time now, it has come to a point where the problems are just too big to ignore.

A few months ago, my computer did not boot properly. Instead, it boots off and on and after a period of time, it finally starts and I can use my computer without problem. I only had to press the on/off button once. That 'period of time' has gone on to be longer, from seconds to nearly one minute now.

This week, things has gone much worse. Now, I have to press the on/off button more than one time. Also, when I want to turn off my computer, it 'updates' and than the computer reboots all by himself (not even finished with updating!). I basically have to turn it off twice Today, I've finally reached the boiling point when my computer has reboot itself randomly many times today, even after I turned off the automatically restart function by system failures. There's nothing in my minidump file and there are no BSOD.

I have absolutely no idea what to do, can anybody help me?

Specs:
Windows Vista Home Premium
Acer Aspire E560
Intel Pentium D 2.8 GHz
3 GB RAM (1x1, 1x2) DDR-2 RAM 667 MHz
ATI Radeon HD 4350

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Download Speedfan (The download link is to the right), and install it. Once it's installed, run the program and post here the information it shows.
The information I want you to post is the stuff that is circled in the example picture I have attached.
To make sure we are getting all the correct information it would help us if you were to attach a screenshot like the one below of your Speedfan results.

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard.
  • It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
  • Now go to Start and then to All Programs
  • Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
  • In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
  • Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
  • Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop
  • Attach it to your next reply

Posted Image

ShadowLoom

ShadowLoom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Speedfan is a program I already had installed in my computer, so that is fortunate. I decided to upload it rather than attach it.

Posted Image

I don't think that last temperature is quite correct, oh well.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please download and run Hardware Monitor
Installation (setup version only)
HWMonitor is a hardware monitoring program that reads PC systems main health sensors : voltages, temperatures, fans speed.
The program handles the most common sensor chips, like ITE® IT87 series, most Winbond® ICs, and others. In addition, it can read modern CPUs on-die core thermal sensors, as well has hard drives temperature via S.M.A.R.T, and video card GPU temperature. Take a screenshot of the Sensors and include it in your next post please.

ShadowLoom

ShadowLoom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Posted Image

There you go.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK one of your temps looks way out of specs.
When was the last time you opened the system up and cleaned out all the dust?
I'm seeing maybe the CPU fan may not be cooling correctly so pay close attention to that.
Note: DO NOT LET THE FAN TURN FREELY WHILE CLEANING
If you have a can of compressed air use that but use something like a Qtip to keep the fan from turning while blowing it out.

ShadowLoom

ShadowLoom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Posted Image

New results after cleaning. The temperature didn't decrease much, hm. Could it really be overheating? Should I get an extra fan or something like that?

Edited by ShadowLoom, 16 August 2011 - 10:38 AM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Possible but with that temp your system wouldn't run at all. I have a sneaking suspicion it is a faulty sensor.

Motherboard Info:

Download SIW from HERE and get the Standalone English version
It will install itself and when finished

Then Click on SIW Icon to run program
On the left side click on the Motherboard directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply
On the left side click on the Sensors directory and then on the right, copy and paste the information in your next reply

http://www.gtopala.c...w-download.html

ShadowLoom

ShadowLoom

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
SIW Motherboard:

Posted Image

SIW Sensors:

Posted Image

There you go. The computer has restarted only once today in comparison to 8-10 times yesterday fortunately, but it is still a major problem.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I'm guessing the high temp is your cpu core or cores.
Either way that top one is not normal.
The other issue I see is that your GPU temps look a little elevated for being at idle. It would be better to be at 60 or below when you are not playing a game or watching a video.
If I were to guess at this point i would say you have a CPU failure.