Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't get recovery console to work

• Please log in to reply

wilderop

wilderop

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I've searched microsoft's website for the answer to my problem along with the manufacturer of the third party software and nothing seems to work.

Here is my dilema. I had adaptec 1200a with two hard drive stripped (yes i know not to smart)
I have no backup of my data. I was running Windows 2000 Professional
My computer fell off my desk and ever since I've had stop error 27...
When I attempt to access recovery console I get stop error 24 on NTFS.sys
I took the computer to COMPUSA cause I didn't have the time to spend on this at the time and they told me (for $100 bucks) they couldn't fix it and I would have to pay 1000's of dollars to a data recovery place. So, I purchased spinrite and ran spinrite on the drives individually. Spinrite found one spot of unrecoverable data, nothing else. I ran level 5 spinrite on both drives, after buying a new RAID card. The same error happens and when I attempt to access recovery console I get a stop 24 on NTFS. I installed Windows XP (Home Edition) on a seperate Hard Drive and put that on the primary IDE. After installed the RAID card the computer won't boot at all. I tried changing the slot of the card, but it still won't boot (even in safe mode). Currently I am installing Windows 2000 Server onto the new hard drive, but I am afraid that the moment I install the RAID Card the computer will start choking on the corrupted NTFS file. Does anyone have a solution?

Advertisements

wilderop

wilderop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sure enough i just installed the driver for the raid card and the computer instantly crashed and is now giving me stop 24 errors on NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
I suspect the raid volume is hosed and so recovering that data may be impossible--even if only one spot was bad....

did you try to recreate/repair the raid within the raid software?

now, why it will not start with the raid in....interesting....does the raid card support hot swapping? the raid is not first in the boot order, is it?

what kind of raid card?

wilderop

wilderop

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
no it's not first in the boot order, it's last and all my family photos are on here, the data is there, there has to be some piece of software that can help me. The raid software is very limited and basically looks at the array as being just fine and dandy (its behavior has not changed)