Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Will not Boot. no signal to monitor.

• Please log in to reply

skibbles_n_bits

skibbles_n_bits

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I was playing a recently installed copy of Knights of the Old Republic( a game from Bioware) when out of nowhere for no apparrent reason, the video freezes, and the computer begins sounding an alarm... (after playing the game once before, it simply shut my machine down without warning this was my second attempt at playing.)

Fearing an overheating problem I quickly reach for the shutoff button while checkingthe temperature guage on my case.. ( 92 degrees Ferenheit.) so I'm thinking it was not an overheating problem...

regardless, I let my computer sit and cool for a good hour before attempting to turn it back on.
I press the power button and all the fans start, the hard drive spins, all the LEDs go bright, and, nothing... monitor displays a check signal cable warning... now, since it is showing that on the monitor, i'm confident my monitor is working...

I try reseating my video card, my sound card, I try all kinds of combinations of hardware being plugged in and not... to no avail...

Is there anything else I should try, short of buying a new Video card... from what I've done, it would seem I've fried that... though I see no signs of it on the card...

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

cybermaniac99

cybermaniac99

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
hey,

well ....i aint got that much know how on hardware but can try!

1st check whether the cables are connected properly, to the monitor, to the cabinet etc
2nd check if there is no problem with the amt electricity reaching ur system!
3rd try removing ur video card and plugging ur monitor onto ur onboard display if available!

these steps may help u identify ur problem!

skibbles_n_bits

skibbles_n_bits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have already checked all my conections and reseated my video card... I've Also tried using only the bear minimum of hardware to start my computer...

I do not have any onboard video, so I cannot check it that way...

skibbles_n_bits

skibbles_n_bits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright, I've tried running the computer with the video card out of my mothers computer and her monitor ( I know they both work as I am using them now.) and no signal... the monitor stays black... We still get the fans spinning and the hard drive spinning....

So... I presume either my MoBo is bad or my PSU... I will test my PSU shortly and update you on my findings... if anyone can think of anything else I should check before buying a ne MoBo, let me know.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
I suspect in this case it could well be the psu. You said about the temp reading on the case display, what temp does this monitor? is it system temp or cpu temp?

skibbles_n_bits

skibbles_n_bits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
it currently reads the system temp... When I was able to see the boot screen ( in the boot attempt 10 minutes before the final crash) every temp was reading normal... I've just checked all the molex connectors, they all read a solid 5v and 12v.... I did not check the MoBo connector... I will attempt to do so momentarily... i've not checked that one before, and need to lookup a walkthrough first.

My video card though does not require any power hookup on it...

still. I will check the PSU and get back to you.

[5 minutes later]

Checked the Power supply... all lines that should read 5v 12v and 3.3v respecively... leading me to believe the power supply is not the culprit... any other ideas?

I'm thinking my AGP slot might just have got fried...somehow... [bleep] lucasarts...

Edited by skibbles_n_bits, 31 May 2005 - 07:32 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
The atx connector (20 pin I assume not 24 pin), just bridge the green (pin 14) wire to one of the black wires to start it up, using a paperclip or similar.
Disconnect the 12V cpu atx 4 pin connector as well obviously

The red wires should read +5V
orange +3.3
blue -12V
yellow +12v
grey +5V
purple +5V standby
white -5V

Edited by Samm, 31 May 2005 - 07:33 PM.

skibbles_n_bits

skibbles_n_bits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yup, checked that, everythingchecks out like it should.

skibbles_n_bits

skibbles_n_bits

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Alright. I seem to have fixed it... Somehow, it works now... don't ask me what I did differently, but now it runs just fine (perhaps the different power cable I used?) either way, all is well now... Just need to reinstall my sound card...

Thank you everyone for your help.