Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Faster, faster, faster.

• Please log in to reply

Silk

Silk

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey, i'm kind of computer illiterate and i'm trying to make my computer faster with out going to bios, i found that i can turn off some programs by going to "msconfig" and also i have Spybot, Ad-Aware, and Spyware Blaster. I De-frag my compter once every two weeks or so, but i see a decrease in the number of ram i have not an increase, is there away to really know which programs to turn off and which programs have to stay on in "msconfig" and are there more ways for my computer to get faster, again without using "bios"?

Edit: and do i really need these service packs Microsoft is giving my computer, i have a Compaq.

Edit 2: sorry, one more thing on the task manager and processes, is there a way to know also which to turn off and on?

Thank you, Silk. :tazz:

Edited by Silk, 31 May 2005 - 01:43 PM.

Advertisements

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
WinXP should be re-installed every 2 months. That would definitly increase the speed. Or put it back to normal. But if you REALLY wanna increase some speed, buy yourself the best coolingsystem and go to the BIOS, doing some shyt with the overcloking tools.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]

WinXP should be re-installed every 2 months. That would definitly increase the speed. Or put it back to normal. But if you REALLY wanna increase some speed, buy yourself the best coolingsystem and go to the BIOS, doing some shyt with the overcloking tools.

View Post

You've GOT to be joking.. I have had XP on my system for a couple years now without EVER having to re-install it!!! If you have to re-install every couple months then you are going something really wrong to have to do it!!!

Howdy Silk and welcome to G2G:

Go to the Malware Forum and follow the directions at the top.. Post a HJT log in that forum and let the guru's there take a look at it for spyware/adware.. Both can severely restrict a system's performance!!

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 31 May 2005 - 01:48 PM.

Guest_yezpahr_*

Guest_yezpahr_*
No, I am not doing anything wrong, but normal Windows XP should be re-installed every 2 months, to clean up registry and/or old programs that aren't being used anymore and are NOT found by any other program.

Me personally: I haven't re-installed winXP since it came in the stores.

Silk

Silk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Wow, i am alittle more illiterate than i though, may i as what "HJT log" is?

Edit:please disregard this post. =(

Edited by Silk, 31 May 2005 - 01:56 PM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP

No, I am not doing anything wrong, but normal Windows XP should be re-installed every 2 months, to clean up registry and/or old programs that aren't being used anymore and are NOT found by any other program.

Me personally: I haven't re-installed winXP since it came in the stores.

View Post

Yet you are advising others to do just that!! Please clarify yourself!! If you won't heed your own advice, why should anyone else?? :tazz:

Murray

Silk: HJT = HijackThis log.. The link I provided will explain all!! ;)

Murray

Edited by Murray S., 31 May 2005 - 02:04 PM.

Silk

Silk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok, so my computer is getting great treatment, thanks for the help guys.

Thank you, Silk.