Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

W32.Blaster.Worm Can't open ANYTHING

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Lindsey Loggins Goggins

Lindsey Loggins Goggins

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Okay, so I'm usually fairly handy with computers, but this is kicking my butt....

System is windows xp. I was browsing the web, and all of a sudden it hit.. BAM. I got the w3sblaster crap...

Thing is, everything I've tried to do to fix it, doesn't work! Why you ask? Because I can't open ANYTHING. I've tried the fix here:
http://deletemalware...-uninstall.html

But I can't open internet explorer to download the patch. So I downloaded it to a flash drive and transferred it to the infected computer... it won't let me open it. Gives me the whole "this file cannot be opened because its infected" blah blah blah....

So I skipped that step and went on to the worm removal tools... None of them will open, same thing "infected file"

So I tried running them in safe mode. So far I ran the Symantec one, and it ran, but it says the virus isn't on the computer....

So what do I do? I'm about to try to run the others in safe mode and see if I get any results... but does anybody have any ideas?

Advertisements

Lindsey Loggins Goggins

Lindsey Loggins Goggins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
UPDATE:

I was able to get this fixed!

I ended up running all the "removal tools" in safe mode, and none of them found anything. But then I finally ran malwarebytes in safe mode and it found it! So I removed it, restarted, ran it again in normal mode, and then restarted again and everything seems to be back to normal! Thank GOODNESS!

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Hello Lindsey Loggins Goggins and welcome to G2G! :)

My nick is maliprog and I'll will be your technical support on this issue. Before we start please read my notes carefully:

NOTE:
  • Malware removal is NOT instantaneous, most infections require several courses of action to completely eradicate.
  • Absence of symptoms does not always mean the computer is clean
  • Kindly follow my instructions in the order posted. Order is crucial in cleaning process.
  • Please DO NOT run any scans or fix on your own without my direction.
  • Please read all of my response through at least once before attempting to follow the procedures described.
  • If there's anything you don't understand or isn't totally clear, please come back to me for clarification.
  • Please do not attach any log files to your replies unless I specifically ask you. Instead please copy and paste so as to include the log in your reply.
  • You must reply within 3 days or your topic will be closed

How is your system now? Do you need any help?

Lindsey Loggins Goggins

Lindsey Loggins Goggins

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi!!

It seems to be fine as of now. I did notice that the fake "security" software icon was still on my desktop, but it was no longer the icon it was before, just the "window" looking icon..... So I deleted it and then deleted from the recycle bin.

Is there anything additional I need to do to make sure its gone?

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
If you don't have any problems then it's OK. Thank you for letting us now you manage to resolve this. We appreciate it.

Goodbye and stay safe :)

maliprog

maliprog

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 6,172 posts
Since this issue appears to be resolved ... this Topic has been closed. Glad we could help. :)

If you're the topic starter, and need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member with the address of the thread.

Everyone else please begin a New Topic.