Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Grapics card ram

• Please log in to reply

fleggy1

fleggy1

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hey am wondering if it is possible to add/share my ram with my graphics card i have a nvidia GeForce FX 5500

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I don't understand the question. :)
Adding memory to a video card has been out of date since the first PCI video cards 10 plus years ago.
It is cheaper now to just replace the video card completely. Sharing only happens when you are utilizing a onboard video chip and that is the system memory and not the video memory.

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i wanted to share 512 of my system ram with my computer, because i dont have the money to upgrade my pc

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
System ram sharing with your video card?
Not going to happen as i said that happens only with the onboard video chip and not a add on card.
How much system ram do you have and how much video memory?
What is the reason for wanting to do this?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I don't know what you are asking.

Do you want to use some of the card's RAM for your system (Windows) to use? You can't do that. Graphics RAM is dedicated to the GPU, as it should be.

Do you want to use some of your system RAM to increase the RAM your graphics card uses? No, you can't do that either.

Do you want to improve performance of your computer? I don't know. You told us nothing of your computer, or which 5500 card you have as they are not all the same.

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
i wanted to know id you can use system ram as graphics ram but i guess you cant, its jus a geforce fx 5500?, and the reason is i jus wanted to try n make my graphics a wee bit faster, plus havin issues wih minecraft whjich i didnt have before my drivers corrupted

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

plus havin issues wih minecraft whjich i didnt have before my drivers corrupted

Have you resolved that or is there still a issue with your drivers?

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

its jus a geforce fx 5500

There are several makers and at least two versions of that card, one with 128Mb of RAM and one with 256Mb - there may be more.

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
no i resovled that and have the latest drivers but have wiered graphical glitch and ohh its a 512 card but dont know the maker sorry

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

no i resovled that and have the latest drivers but have wiered graphical glitch

You are not really helping us help you. We still know nothing about your system except your card. You say you fixed the driver issues but still have a glitch. That does not sound fixed to me, and "glitch" is not very descriptive.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
A 512 meg video card should be enough to play most games. It may not play at the highest settings but it will play them.

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
ill post a picture and what about my systemm would you like to know? i cnt play some game due to pixel shader version is wrong xD

Attached Thumbnails

• problem.JPG

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
in the picture u can see the lines between blockjs it should be n never was there

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I found this doing a little research on the game HERE.
Seem the farther out in the map you go the game gets glitchier.

First of all, let me clarify some things about the “infinite” maps: They’re not infinite, but there’s no hard limit either. It’ll just get buggier and buggier the further out you are. Terrain is generated, saved and loaded, and (kind of) rendered in chunks of 16*16*128 blocks. These chunks have an offset value that is a 32 bit integer roughly in the range negative two billion to positive two billion. If you go outside that range (about 25% of the distance from where you are now to the sun), loading and saving chunks will start overwriting old chunks. At a 16/th of that distance, things that use integers for block positions, such as using items and pathfinding, will start overflowing and acting weird

fleggy1

fleggy1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
you would never ever spawn near the far lands, ive read into alot on mc XD, and the others didnt have that prob lol also, i figured it out =D it was my anti-aliasing setting :) i turned that and is anisotropic setting off and vbert sync and its fine :unsure: