Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 7 - Operating system not found

• Please log in to reply

James63

James63

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My daughters Sony Vaio laptop is less than one year old. The computer freezes at the startup. I get the desktop sometimes but then a black "terminal box" flashes at the top and the computer freezes there. Try to start in safe mode and I get "Operating system not found" Boot into BIOs and at first it showed Hard drive none then the next time it showed it was 350G.
Sony says I need a new HD but I really think it is malware or a virus. They won't send me the recovery disc and of course my daughter did not make one when she got the computer. Help!

Advertisements

Hellknight

Hellknight

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Welcome to Geeks2Go, James.

A question: while the computer is turned on, both before the issue started and now, did you ever notice any strange sounds (ticking, or other mechanical sounds, for example) coming from the computer?

James63

James63

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
She said no. She said she was logged into facebook and twitter then it just froze and she restarted

Hellknight

Hellknight

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
Well, since you suspect malware, best get the computer checked out by one of our anti-malware experts.
Please read the topic here and follow the instructions there on what scans to run, and create a new topic in the apropriate forum

Edited by Hellknight, 18 August 2011 - 07:51 AM.