Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

what are these new unknown files

• Please log in to reply

debodun

debodun

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
I noticed that there are 2 new files I hadn't noticed before (see attached screenshot with the files outlined in red). There are dated from earlier this year, though. I wanted to know what they might be and if I should delete them (and how). When I clicked on the OTL folder, I got a pop-up from MSE saying my system might be infected. I ran the removal tool and it seems okay for now.

Attached Thumbnails

• unknown files.JPG

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
OTL is probably this:
http://www.geekstogo...for-hijackthis/

The other folder is almost certainly a remanent from a Windows Update applied at some point. It probably contains nothing more than a text file. If so, the folder can be deleted.

Edited by Neil Jones, 18 August 2011 - 04:11 PM.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Thanks for the info.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
debodun

You posted in the Malware Forum on the 7 July, starting this thread,
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1

On the 12 July you received a reply from Gammo and on that date as a result of a query from you he posted

Which tool asks you to insert the CD? OTL or ComboFix?

Neither of them should ask for a Windows CD. Please run the OTL or ComboFix instructions again.

You never replied and the thread was closed by Gammo on the 16 August with this post.

Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

Please do not post, on this site, but particularly in the Malware forum where the experts are very busy and then after receiving their expert help, simply leave the matter.

On the 11 August you started this thread
http://www.geekstogo...__fromsearch__1
in which I and two other people were assisting you.
You never completed that thread either, as the last recommendation on 15 August was to uninstall MSE and reinstall it., together with other suggestions.
Again you have not replied.

You would have been far better, following through the thread in Malware, especially as you would on completion of that thread have been advised by the expert to run certain programs to clean up, after the use of the Malware Tools. Had you done so, you may NOT have needed to commence this thread.

Finally, whether or not the expert who was helping you on the Malware thread will now accept a request from you to reopen that thread is a decision of course for him.
This was also part of his last post closing the thread.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
debodun
A reply would have been appreciated.
If you have decided that you no longer require help on ANY of the threads you have started please just post to that effect on each thread.
We at GeekstoGo are ready to help whenever you request it, but failing to respond and just leaving the issue is unhelpful to all.
We really appreciate a response especially if you have solved the problem. Your solution may indeed prove helpful to others with a similar problem.
Thank you.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 30 August 2011 - 04:22 PM.

debodun

debodun

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 567 posts
Thank you to everyone that offered suggestions for this posted problem. This issue seems to have corrected itself - although I can't answer why that is. If it resurfaces again, I will try the suggested remedies. Thanks again.