Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Restored Image Failed to Boot; error 0x0000007B

• Please log in to reply

SailorEd

SailorEd

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Objective: Trying to move system to Larger HDD

IBM G40 Notebook 750MB Memory
System:WinXP SP3 80GB HDD Seagate
New HDD 160GB Samsung (jumpered for boot drive)
Using USB interface;One for target of backup file and One for target for recovery of backup file.

Used both Acronis and Storagecraft software with same resulting error: Blue screen error 0x0000007B

Same process used for both software packages. First used Acronis then uninstalled and loaded and tried Storagecraft.

Created backup file on USB drive using software (booted from CD drive). (Computer HDD removed and booted from CD for software).
Backup proceeded and placed file on USB drive.
Did recover to new 160GB drive into C: partion (active). No obvious problems during restore.
Bios changed to boot from USB new drive.
Booting process starts (can see files loading;sys, dll, config.sys etc.)
Blue screen appears with 0x0000007B code.

As you know, there are no drivers for the new 160GB HDD from Samsung.

Would greatly appreciate your help in resolving this issue. I really do not want to try to reload all software and Windows SP to new HDD. Given age and memory of 750MB prevents moving to newer OS. I have already spent way to many hours missing around with this especially given machine is functioning with old small HDD.

Best regards,

Advertisements

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
Please post a screen capture of Disk Management when the old drive is installed and XP is booted. Expand it to full screen so everything is visible.

Make sure the window you want to capture has the focus.
Press Alt+Print Screen. That will capture the active window.
Start MSPaint - Start then Run, type mspaint and press Enter.
Press Ctrl+v to paste the picture in to MS Paint.
Click File then Save as and save it to your Desktop.

Start a new reply.
Click on the Browse button below the message input area.
Navigate to where you saved the picture, select it and click on Open.
Click on Attach This File.
Once uploaded, click on Add To Post to the far right of the uploaded file.
Scroll down and click Preview Post to verify the image shows.

SailorEd

SailorEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I have attached the screen print of the original 60GB drive that I am trying to clone (backup and restore).
Pls. note I have been informed by Storagecraft that they do not support USB booting but said you might be able to make it work.
Given this info, I placed new drive in computer and restored to the new HDD installed in the computer. NO SUCCESS! But it did go further into the process. With the new drive installed in the computer and the restore of the image to the new installed HDD, it boots through the files and stalls/stays at the windows xp screen.
Thanks for the quick input. I still have not given up on the process.
Regards,Attached File  G40 old 60GB HDD DskMgmt_.bmp   369.12KB   121 downloads

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I don't believe you can boot XP from an external USB drive. The internal should work though.

When you used Acronis, did you have it verify the backup image?

When you restore the image to the new drive, are you including the MBR?

SailorEd

SailorEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I did not verify. Not sure what option I used relative to MBR. What option do you suggest I use?

I am away from the machine for a week. Upon my return I will make a new back-up and do a new store with the HDD in the computer and then try to boot.

Thanks for you help. Regards Ed

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,065 posts
I always select to restore the MBR.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Ztruker
Hope you do not mind me coming in on the thread.

SailorEd
Just dropped in to say, that I concur with Ztruker and thought this may help
Disc and partition images contain a copy of track 0 along with MBR (master boot record). It
appears in this window in a separate line. You can choose whether to restore MBR and track
0 by checking the respective box. If you are recovering your system, include the the MBR in
the image restore operation since it is critical for your system boot up.

You may find this useful
http://www.seagate.c...rd/dw_ug.en.pdf
I do not know the program StorageCraft but SeagateDiskWizard, which you can of course use, as your 60Gb is Seagate, uses Seagates version of Acronis, but it comes with a comprehensive guide, the link above.
It may well be the Acronis you used, but in case it is not here is the download link
http://www.seagate.c...000f5ee0a0aRCRD

Also you say

Created backup file on USB drive using software

although I see that the thread is actually titled Restored Image
There is a difference between a backup using Acronis which does NOT backup the MBR and an Image which does., which may indeed be the problem

A file backup is a copy of files. A disk or partition image is a snapshot of the drive

Explained in greater detail
  • All Acronis backup products
Description
A backup is a copy of selected files, folders or information stored on disks.

When you back up files and folders, only the data and folder tree are compressed and stored.

Disk/partition backups are different from file and folder backups. Acronis product stores a sector-by-sector snapshot of the disk. This includes the operating system, registry, drivers, software applications data files, and system areas hidden from the user. This procedure is called "creating a disk image," and the resulting backup is often called a disk/partition image.

By default Acronis product stores only the hard disk parts that contain data (for supported file systems).

Furthermore, Acronis product does not back up swap file information. It will not back up pagefile.sys under Windows XP and later and it will not back up hiberfil.sys (a file that keeps RAM contents when the computer goes into hibernation). This reduces image size and speeds up image creation and recovery.

However, you can still use the Back up sector-by-sector option that lets you include all of the sectors of a hard disk in an image.

A partition image includes all files and folders (including hidden and system files), boot record, and FAT (file allocation table). It also includes files in the root directory and the zero track of the hard disk with the master boot record (MBR).

A disk image includes images of all disk partitions and the zero track with the master boot record (MBR). By default, files in all Acronis True Image Home backups have a ".tib" extension. This extension should not be changed.

It is important to note that you can recover files and folders from both file backups and from disk/partition images. To do so, mount the image as a virtual disk or use Acronis Backup Explorer to select the files and/or folders you need to recover from the disk/partition backup.

Hope it helps.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 21 August 2011 - 07:42 PM.

SailorEd

SailorEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Great information and I really appreciate it. I will have access to machine again next week and will start over with new Acronis image file and then restore direct to larger HDD installed in machine. This time will make sure MBR and 0 track included in image and restore.
Thanks again.
Ed

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Why are you creating image files and not cloning the disc? or am I missing something here?

An image file is a series of files that you can save on a disk or CD and later restore from.
A cloned image is making an exact copy of the disc and placing it on another disc. This is what I feel you should be doing.

Easeus Todo Backup Free is another good product.

SailorEd

SailorEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thank you for the comment. You are correct, I should be using the "cloned image" capability. As I remember during my early attempts, the cloned image capability was not available on the free copy of software I downloaded or I just did not see it.
I will be using the cloned image on my next attempt.
I appreciate your help.
Regards
Ed

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
SailorEd
How did you go on please.
Were you successful.
Please do let us know.

SailorEd

SailorEd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Great THANK YOU to all the contributors at "Geeks". Due to your suggestions and advise, I have been successful in cloning to a larger HDD. While I tried five different software packages, the Seagate package recommended here was successful. I now have a functioning larger HDD without having to reload dozens of software packages.
Again, My many many thanks to all who posted a response and input to resolving my problem.
Best regards,
Ed

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
Congratulations :) for a successful resolution for your issue. I am happy everything has been worked out for you.

Edited by 123Runner, 27 August 2011 - 04:31 AM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
SailorEd
Well done.
Pleased you sorted it with a little help.

Macboatmaster