Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Audio Fades In and Out Possible PCI related error

• Please log in to reply

mtndew5

mtndew5

• Pip
  • 4 posts
My audio keeps fading in and out. Sometimes it sounds like its coming from a cave.

The computer uses IE8 with Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 3. 32-bit I believe.
Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz 2.00GB of RAM'

My modem is from BrightHouseNetworks and says, Motorola 'Surfboard' SBG6580

I'm not sure if its related, but there is a yellow '?' for 'Other Devices' in Device Manager. If I click to expand, it shows a yellow '!' for 'PCI Device'.

The PCI Device Properties say, 'The drivers for this device are not installed." (code 28)

Under 'Sound, Video, and Game Controllers', none of the items in the pulldown menu have a red 'x' or a yellow (!)

PCI\VEN_11AB&DEV_6145&SUBSYS_58428086&REV_A1\4&2D8B019B&0&00E4
I looked up 11AB and 6145. They are related to Marvel. I went to to a few sites and couldn't find any downloads.

I've updated Windows.

I've adjusted the volume on the media player and website that hosts the video I'm watching.

I've downloaded VLC player to rule out if Windows Media Player is the problem.

I've tried reinstalling the 'Legacy' audio driver, but it keeps asking for a disk. The only disk I have is the original Windows XP Pro disk. I believe my computer is 32-bit, if that matters. The disk will begin to run, but it won't find the driver I need.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi mtndew5 :)
It is possible that the sound chip or speakers are failing, the Marvel device
is most likely a PCI ethernet card.
You need to provide information about your computer, this includes is it
a laptop or desktop, is it a custom build or brand name such as Dell or HP
and if it is provide the model name or series number, motherboard and any
add on card details would also help others to help you better.

mtndew5

mtndew5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I have corrected the yellow '!' under 'PCI Device' in the Device Manger, by reinstalling the Marvell
6145 PCI Device Drive (Marvell_61xx_1.2.8000). The yellow '!' is no longer there, and no red
'x' or yellow '!' show up in the Device Manager. Even the hidden devices are clean.
My audio however, still fades in and out. I have listed all of my specs below, unaware of which ones
are important for correcting the problem, so I've listed everything. I went to the Intel
Driver Download page and searched 'd975xbx2'. There are a number of choices to download, which
I've listed below, along with the Intel Driver download website.

http://downloadcente...word="d975xbx2"

To correct my audio, could someone please tell me which exact driver/s, I need to download, or update.
I have listed the choices below. And so you know, I could have made a mistake on the search page as to which avenue to begin searching.

My Specs:
Custom Built
d975xbx2 INTEL
Windows XP Pro (5.1, Build 2600)
Intel® Core™2 CPU 6600 @ 2.40GHz (2CPUs)
2046MB RAM
IDT AUDIO1 Device ID: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01VEN_8384DEV_7621SUBSYS_8

Under Hardware I have listed: IDT HighDefinition Audio CODEC Location 65535 (Working Properly)
Legacy Audio Drivers (Working Properly)
Legacy Video Capture Devices (Working Properly)
Video Codecs (Working Properly)
Audio Codecs (Working Properly)
Media Control Devices (Working Properly)

My MIDI music playback Default drive shows "Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth

In the control panel, there is an icon labeled 'IDT Audio Control Panel'. It will not open.
Not sure if this matters.

I have set all the volume controls back to default.

I have plugged in a number of different computer speakers and headsets all having the same results of fading in and out.
Sometimes it sounds like an echo.

LINK TO INTEL DOWNLOAD
http://downloadcente...word="d975xbx2"

RAID: Marvell Driver
Installs the Marvell (RAID) driver version 1.2.0.7103 for Intel® Desktop Boards.
OS: Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP Professional*>
10/20/2009
Latest
Drivers

RAID: Intel® Rapid Storage Technology Driver for Intel Desktop Boards
Installs the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology (RAID) driver version 9.6.0.1014 for Intel® Desktop Boards.
OS: Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP Professional*>
3/19/2010
Latest
Drivers

Chipset: Intel® Chipset Device Software for 945, 946, 955, 975 Chipset-Based Intel® Desktop Boards
Installs the Intel® Chipset Device Software version 9.1.2.1008 for 945, 946, 955, 975 chipset-based Intel® Desktop Boards.

OS:Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP Professional*>
9/29/2010
Latest
Drivers

TPM: ST Micro* Trusted Platform Module (TPM)
Installs the ST Micro* software version 1.0.4.15 for the Trusted Platform Module (TPM).
OS: Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center....More
Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional*>
7/20/2009
Latest
Drivers

Audio: IDT* 92XX Driver
Installs the integrated audio driver version 20001.0 for Intel® Desktop Boards with IDT* audio. (WHQL certified)
4/23/2009
Latest
Drivers

LAN: Intel® PRO Network Connections Driver for Intel® Desktop Boards for Windows XP*
Installs the LAN driver version 15.1 for Intel® Desktop Boards with the Intel® PRO Network Connections for Desktop.
OS: Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center....More
Windows XP Home Edition*, Windows XP Media Center Edition*, Windows XP Professional x64 Edition*, Windows XP Professional*>
2/4/2010
Previously released
Drivers

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
The problem may still relate to either an audio driver or audio chip failure, namely a failed channel on the 5.1 audio chip!
Can you first go to Start > Run > and enter dxdiag in the Run box and then test the audio device there, the options may be sound 1 and sound 2 test them both, let us know what this reports and we can come back to you and offer the appropriate guidance.

mtndew5

mtndew5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
You were right Phil. I was able to update the audio and chip drivers. Thanks a bunch new best friend.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Congratulations mtndew5 for successfully resolving your PC audio issue. :unsure:
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, for choosing GTG and most importantly for sharing the solution so that it may help others in the future :) :yes: