Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Upgrade advice?

• Please log in to reply

Deadmau5

Deadmau5

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm looking to upgrade my system but I'm on a limited budget so I'm looking for advice on what would be the most effective parts to upgrade for gaming. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Here are my current specs:

Motherboard: Biostar A760G M2+
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+
Ram: 4G of DDR3
Video Card: GeForce GTS 250
Power Supply: 700W

If there's any other info that you would need to give advice let me know, any advice at all would be fantastic!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Hi Deadmau5 :)
Keeping a limited budget in mind below are a couple pointers for you to consider;

Motherboard: Biostar A760G M2+
Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5400+
Ram: 4G of DDR3
Video Card: GeForce GTS 250
Power Supply: 700W

Retain the MB and processor to keep costs down.
If you are running XP 64bit consider upgrading the Ram to the maximum 8GB that your MB will accept.
Upgrade the video card.
A good quality 700W PSU will not require upgrading, what is the brand of the present PSU?
Provide us with your maximum budget and the requested additional information and we can make the appropriate suggestions.

Deadmau5

Deadmau5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
It's an OCZ

My link

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Not a bad brand of PSU but it would be better if it had an efficiency rating of 80%+ and not up to 80%.
Some information regarding the quality of PSUs that you may find helpful in the future available @ http://www.10stripe....d/psu/brand.php
What is your max budget for possible Ram and GPU upgrade?

Deadmau5

Deadmau5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Oh I didn't realize that, I did get a good deal on it though only payed around 40$.

My budget is around 250-300$

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
GFX card for you to consider http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150506
I cannot recommend a Ram upgrade until you confirm if you are running a 64-bit operating system
but below is some information for you to look into;
Specs for your board show the Ram to be DDR2 not DDR3 see the memory support tab @ the link below; http://www.biostar.c...nt.php?S_ID=394
You can use the Crucial system scanner tool to confirm the specs of the present fitted Ram, please
make a note of what it is and post the details with your next reply, the tool will also tell you
what the best Ram upgrade option is so can you also make a note of this and include the details with
your next reply, no purchase from Crucial is necessary once we have the details we can shop around
for the best deal.

NB: I can find you a less expensive video card if you like.

Deadmau5

Deadmau5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I purchased a new hard drive My link which I plan to install Windows 7 64 bit on.

I ran the scan and my memory type is DDR PC2-6400 2GB x2.
Also, this is the recommended upgrade: http://www.crucial.c...6AC50E3A5CA7304

The RAM and the video card you posted together might exceed my budget so depending on the price of the RAM I might need a cheaper video card.

Thank you for all your help I really appreciate it!!

Edited by Deadmau5, 19 August 2011 - 01:47 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Unfortunately 8GB Ram kits are expensive and this is the downside of your MB only having 2 DIMM slots.
I have tried finding you a better deal on the Ram but with little success with this link being the best; http://www.1stchoice...tem.asp?id=3825 as it is not a UK company I know nothing of
them to be able to comment, the Crucial Ram is the same cost @ Newegg so no savings to be made there, a less expensive video card http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102873

Deadmau5

Deadmau5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Would a new motherboard be viable/cheaper?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
I will see what deals I can find and come back to you being realistic though you would be looking for a MB that has 4 DIMM slots and that is also compatible with your present CPU, it may outweigh the 8GB Ram kit cost.

EDIT: It is not viable to change the MB as the cost would be to great for one that is compatible with your present components, Ram is best purchased as matching pairs but you could consider adding a 4GB stick of the same spec of Ram as the 2GB making 6GB and when finances permit purchase the second 4GB stick and then sell the X2 X 2GB sticks to recover part of the cost.

Edited by phillpower2, 19 August 2011 - 03:25 PM.

Deadmau5

Deadmau5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
So do you think upgrading my RAM is the best option for improving my PC performance? Not sure if I mentioned it but this PC is primarily used for gaming.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Upgrading the Ram will improve the overall performance of the PC and ensure that you get the full benefit when you also upgrade to W7 64-bit, a good quality and performance video card is required for high end gaming and this is complimented by the amount of system Ram available, but GFX cards do have their own video memory with a 1GB card being adequate for what you require at present, 2GB if you go above a 30" screen or run multiple displays.
You could hold off on upgrading to W7 64-bit until you have built up a cash reserve for the Ram upgrade but fit the new video card now, enjoy your gaming and worry about Ram upgrades and multi tasking later :)

Deadmau5

Deadmau5

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you so much for all your help!! :)

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
You are welcome :) keep us updated on your progress and let us know if you require assistance,