Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Uncontrollable cursor

• Please log in to reply

Janis

Janis

• PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
I did a clean install of XP on an old! Dell laptop thinking that might clear any glitches. It didn't take care of the mouse/cursor problem. The cursor works for awhile and then wanders off and will not respond to a mouse or the touchpad commands. I don't find any conflicts in Device Manager. Is this just old age or is it fixable?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Which particular model of Dell laptop is it please.
Have you tried disabling the touchpad and replacing the batteries in the mouse?
After the clean install of XP did you install the Dell drivers as required by Dell systems, if not you can have issues;
http://support.dell....4&isLegacy=true

Janis

Janis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 333 posts
The Dell is an Inspiron 8200. I thought about the drivers and went to the Dell site. The only one I could find was for the touchpad. When I installed that I lost (deleted?) the PS2 mouse and I had to do another install of XP. So I have the PS2 mouse and the touchpad works also when it wants to. But then it starts wandering off and nothing seems to control it.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
It is possible that this is caused by nothing more than wear and tear ie regular use.
Try disabling the touchpad as I suggested earlier and see if the mouse behaves itself, see page 50 of the user manual for how to do this, it also details how to adjust the sensitivity of the device/s; http://support.dell....en/1H018bk3.pdf