Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard drive working only through external usb adapter

• Please log in to reply

reprovo

reprovo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi.I have a 500gb 3.5 caviar green (wd500aads) hard drive which I've removed from a western digital enclosure.When I place the hard drive In a 5.25 bay docking station ( connected to an Internal sata port ) It doesn't recognise the drive.Wont see It In disk management.Any other drive I Insert In the docking station works fine.When I connect the drive to an external usb adapter , It's recognised Immediately and works fine.
What reason could there be for It not being read In the docking station? Could there be circuitry on this drive allowing It only to be read from an external adapter?
Would appreciate any assistance.Thanks

The drive works When Installed Internally.Can't think why It's not working In the docking station , I know It accepts 300mbps drives.

Edited by reprovo, 19 August 2011 - 10:36 AM.

Advertisements

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
have you tried other hard drives in the docking station...?
i could be something is corrupted in the docking station!

it sound odd that the drive works internally and also on a usb adapter (witch works the same way as a dockingstation)

reprovo

reprovo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi.I've tried other drives and they work.It doesn't work the same as a usb adapter.It's connected Internally directly to the sata port , not via usb.

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
how do you connect your docking station to you pc ?

reprovo

reprovo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
It's a docking bay, It goes In the dvd slot.
It's connected Internally to a sata port on the mobo and It gets power through the psu (sata power connection)

dennisK16

dennisK16

• PipPipPip
  • 155 posts
so its a regular sata connection with a little card in the middle this makes a little bit more sense lol
have you checked the sata connections and the sata power cord? everything connected properly..?

Zoolooy

Zoolooy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello, did you find a solution to this "only USB" not-SATA hard drive problem?

Because I have run into the exact same freaky glich. I have a 2TB Hitachi hard drive that I use both in a hot-swap Sata docking drawer and also in an external enclosure that has both eSata and USB.

The drive always worked with either connection UNTIL...
While transfering a large video I aborted the action, and the system crashed. Since then, every time I try to use the drive via the SATA or eSATA connection the system will freeze, also on a second computer. On the other hand, if I use USB as the connection, no problems, just terribly slow of course, compared to the SATA transfer rate.

I have used disk-check to scan the drive and it reads clean.
I have a very dark suspicion, that something happened to the firmware of the drive. Anyone with experience re-flashing firmware of a Hitachi Deskstar 7K3000 2TB drives? Other suggestions?