Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows 7 - tcpip.sys BSOD!

• Please log in to reply

OpalPhoenix

OpalPhoenix

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm having a BSOD problem that's caused by tcpip.sys but I don't know what the underlying problem or process is. I don't know how to read minidump files so I was wondering if someone might help me out. It seems to happen when my Firefox is open and could be related to Flash or video, but I don't know for sure.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
OpalPhoenix
Welcome to GeekstoGo

Your MInidump analysis
Crash Dump Analysis
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crash dump directory: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump

Crash dumps are enabled on your computer.

On Sun 5/8/2011 04:37:46 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Minidump\050811-28423-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlpa.exe (nt+0xDCDFC)
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF86CD1708, 0xFFFFFFFF83761AE0, 0xFFFFFFFF863E1410)
Error: DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntkrnlpa.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Mon 5/2/2011 03:56:10 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Minidump\050211-24804-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF86CE0030, 0xFFFFFFFF83731AE0, 0xFFFFFFFF88F85888)
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that the driver is in an inconsistent or invalid power state.
This appears to be a typical software driver bug and is not likely to be caused by a hardware problem.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver which cannot be identified at this time.

On Sun 5/1/2011 06:26:51 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Minidump\050111-18454-01.dmp
Bugcheck code: 0x9F (0x3, 0xFFFFFFFF86CDC030, 0xFFFFFFFF8376BAE0, 0xFFFFFFFF89D19DD8)

In view of your suspicion that it is Firefox related, open Firefox and then on the Help tab on the menu bar restart with add-ons disabled. Alternatively, open IE and see if we have the same issue.

How to start Firefox in Safe Mode
At the top of the Firefox window, click the Firefox button, go over to the Help menu and select Restart with Add-ons Disabled.... Firefox will start up with the Firefox Safe Mode dialog.as imaged below -please select Continue in Safe Mode - do not make any selections at this stage.. Note: You can also start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down the shift key while starting Firefox.

Safe Mode window
Posted Image

Also please check device manager for warnings on drivers.
Here's How:
  • Click on the Start button and then choose Control Panel.
  • Click on the System and Security link.

Note: If you're viewing the Large icons or Small icons view of Control Panel, you won't see this link. Simply click on Device Manager and then proceed to Step 4.
  • In the System and Security window, click on the Device Manager link located under the System heading.
When in device manager please click the view tab and click to show hidden devices.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 19 August 2011 - 03:23 PM.

OpalPhoenix

OpalPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thank you for the help. I spent some time surfing around with all add-ons and plugins disabled and it seemed to work fine. Then, I re-enabled Flash only and I got a blue-screen shortly afterward. How can be problem be worked around? Would re-installing Flash help, or installing it in a different location?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Which version of Firefox please.
Click Help on Firefox, click About Firefox.

Which Flash Player please.

Also would you please do as I asked in my first post

Also please check device manager for warnings on drivers.

details of HOW are in the post and this will allow us to see if any warnings are recorded there.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 20 August 2011 - 06:19 PM.

OpalPhoenix

OpalPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Firefox 6.0
Shockwave Flash 10.3.183.5

There are no warnings for drivers in Device Manager.

It seems to happen most on YouTube, if that's any help.

Edited by OpalPhoenix, 22 August 2011 - 02:59 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Please try 10.1 from this link
http://kb2.adobe.com...2/tn_14266.html

uninstall first, this is done in Control Panel, not Firefox.
then install the 10.1 please..top of the list older archives.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 22 August 2011 - 04:38 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
OpalPhoenix
I am offline now until Friday.
Please let me know how things are.
Has the install of the ealier version solved the issue.
If not there are other avenues to explore, but we need your reply to that suggestion please.

OpalPhoenix

OpalPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Apparently those minidumps are old, and it's not making new ones when the BSOD occurs. It happens with older versions as well as Google Chrome, and it happened only once with no browsers open. It showed a different file than tcpip.sys that one time, but I didn't get enough time to write it down.

Still seeking suggestions. Thanks for the help so far.

Edit: The name of the other file mentioned in the bluescreens (rarely) is e1k6232.sys

Edited by OpalPhoenix, 24 August 2011 - 03:52 PM.

OpalPhoenix

OpalPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have a new theory and believe the trouble is being caused by my Ethernet adapter. I noticed that when I switch to wireless I have no errors, and when I get a reply from you upon your return I'll let you know if this is true.

Perhaps there's an IRQ problem related to my wired Ethernet adapter? I believe this is it:

Intel 82577LM Gigabit Network Connection
(PCI) 0x00000014 (20)
No conflicts or discovered problems.

If you need more info, just let me know. Keeping my fingers crossed! =)

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

he name of the other file mentioned in the bluescreens (rarely) is e1k6232.sys

Could well be the case, as that e1k6232.sys is actually a file for the Intel Gigabyte network adaptor.

If the computer is branded. go to the manufacturers site and download the latest available driver for the network adaptor.
Check the ethernet cable connections.
Also check device manager please for the network adaptor as I recommended in my post 2.

OpalPhoenix

OpalPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I've updated the drivers for the Ethernet adapter and Device Manager shows no warnings on any drivers, and says the Gigabit connection is working properly. I don't have access to an Ethernet connection at this time, but I'll reply again Monday or Tuesday with the results.

Thanks for sticking with me through this.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I will wait to here from you but did you ever do what I sugested in Post 6 please.

OpalPhoenix

OpalPhoenix

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I did do what you instructed in post 6, but it didn't help.

I updates the drivers for my Ethernet adapter and everything seems to be okay. I'll come back if I have any more problems.

Thanks for all your help!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pleased it worked.

Could well be the case, as that e1k6232.sys is actually a file for the Intel Gigabyte network adaptor.

If the computer is branded. go to the manufacturers site and download the latest available driver for the network adaptor.
Check the ethernet cable connections.
Also check device manager please for the network adaptor as I recommended in my post 2.

It was you that made the suggestion from the

The name of the other file mentioned in the bluescreens (rarely) is e1k6232.sys

Hope all stays OK.
If not, we are always here.