Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Factory Settings

• Please log in to reply

Zoë Louise Smith

Zoë Louise Smith

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, I have lost my disk and i want to restore my Acer laptop (Extensia 5220) to factory settings, When i press Alt + F10 and it askes for a password i know the password but then when i enter it is just goes to the login screen! Also My OS is Windows 7 but my laptop was orignaly vista but i updated it with windows 7 home premiem. HELP ME ASAP!!!! :/

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Acer:
Hard Disk Recovery
should be enabled by default. If it is not, you may need to go into your system’s BIOS by hitting F2 at boot and enable it under the Advanced tab.

Once Hard Disk Recovery is enabled, restart the system and hit ALT+F10. This will begin the system recovery process. You will be prompted to type six zeros as a security step. Type 000000 to proceed.

This will return the system to factory settings and with the original OS. The only exception is if the Win7 was a full install and not a upgrade. In this case if the Recovery partition was deleted then it will not work.

Zoë Louise Smith

Zoë Louise Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Thanks for helping me! :) Also What do you mean that window 7 will not work? So will i have to re-install windows 7? I do have the disk so it wont be an issue:)

Zoë Louise Smith

Zoë Louise Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i tried it but i could not see any hard disk recovery and i think what you explained is right :) Is there any other way for me to put it back to factory settings??? :unsure: :yes: :) ;) :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it does not go to the recovery part then there is a possibility that it is not there. As I said if the Win7 disk you have is a full version then you may have formatted the system to install it.
It would help if you explained which Win7 disk you have is.

Zoë Louise Smith

Zoë Louise Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have the Windows 7 Home Premium. I think you might be right :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I understand the Win7 but is the disk a upgrade, Full version or a recovery disk?

Zoë Louise Smith

Zoë Louise Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Well i upgraded it from windows vista:)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK then the upgrade disks won't work to reload the system without a already installed OS. At least what I can advise you to do. With a little googling there are ways to do it but I cannot advise you on how to do it.

Zoë Louise Smith

Zoë Louise Smith

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have googled for like 1 full day proberly... I have not found anything so far but i will keep on looking, do you have any recommended sites?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope I can't advise on that but if you are not finding anything you may need to rephrase how you google things..