Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer tipped over

• Please log in to reply

antarctica

antarctica

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have an HP Pavillion P6000 windows 7. I've only had this computer for 5 months which I keep on the tiled floor next to my desk. My 1 year old nephew came in and tipped the tower over while I had the computer on and running. When I tried turning it back on the screen was spazzing out and I could hardly make out anything on the screen. This has been two months ago. I was in no hurry to get it fixed. But now that school is starting I'm gonna be needing it. I opened the side to see if any wires were loose but I didn't see any. I plugged it back into the screen and turned it on but now the screen says its not finding anything. Anyone know what might be wrong with my computer? Could something have broken and is there a chance that it will work if I take it in for a diagnostic to check the problem. What I'm trying to get at "is my computer broken for good cause it tipped over or can it be fixed"? Keeping in mind that I got tipped over and smacked against the tile.

Advertisements

antarctica

antarctica

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Thanks for any advice in advance :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Anyone know what might be wrong with my computer? Could something have broken and is there a chance that it will work if I take it in for a diagnostic to check the problem. What I'm trying to get at "is my computer broken for good cause it tipped over or can it be fixed"? Keeping in mind that I got tipped over and smacked against the tile.

Possible the pins on the cable connection from the monitor to the computer got bent or broken. I would suggest either connect the monitor to another known working system and see if it works. The other option is to try a known working monitor on the system in question.
It may also be possible that if it is a onboard video that the fall may have broken a solder point for the video on the motherboard.

antarctica

antarctica

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
The screen works fine when I plug it into my notebook. So I'm thinking something must have broken in the motherboard I hope can be fixed.

Ztruker

Ztruker

Member 5k

• Technician
  • 7,091 posts
Your best bet is to contact HP. The computer should still be under warranty. Tell them it's not working. How much you tell them about why it's not working is up to you and your conscience. :)

Also, check and make sure the memory modules are fully seated and did not come lose and all cables are firmly seated on the system board.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The screen works fine when I plug it into my notebook. So I'm thinking something must have broken in the motherboard I hope can be fixed.

Yeah as I said it may have broken a solder point on the onboard video. It's also possible as ztrucker stated the memory could have been knocked loose but I think you would receive memory error beeps then.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Note too that CPU heatsink fan assemblies can be very heavy and a rough bounce could have knocked it loose, or worse, caused damage. Not good.