Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What kind of computer should I buy?

• Please log in to reply

Evelinda

Evelinda

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello,

You guys always help me with malware so I thought I'd ask you about what kind of computer to get. My daughter is going off to college and she went to the Microsoft store and was recommended a Vaio all in One (this one http://store.sony.co...#specifications) and a little laptop by Toshiba called something like protege for $799. However, all of her friends are getting Macbook Airs or Macbook Pros. What should she get? I don't care too much what it costs (under $3000 would be nice).

She's thin and not very good at carrying things which is why she chose the desktop and the small laptop (though would a tablet be better?). She uses her computer for writing and gaming. I think she plays Shaiya though she might have switched to something with Zerg rushes.

Thank you!

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts
Hi Evelinda
WOW I do not envy you this task :unsure:
Best piece of advice that I can propose is to sit down and have a chat with your daughter and discuss what you both deem appropriate and acceptable kudos wise, for your projected budget you are able to purchase a laptop capable of meeting both schooling and gaming requirements, but if it is not the Macbook that will enable your daughter to sit comfortably with her peers then I fear it will not suffice regardless, here is a link showing what is available both performance and budget wise, best of luck to you both and please ensure that all are kept safe and secure :)
http://www.dell.com/...re-m18x/pd.aspx

Evelinda

Evelinda

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Wow, that link took me to an Alienware M18x laptop which the salesperson claimed was better than the Vaio all in One desktop. Is this true? The Sony salesperson I asked had no comment.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,716 posts

Wow, that link took me to an Alienware M18x laptop which the salesperson claimed was better than the Vaio all in One desktop. Is this true?

This depends on what an individuals requirements are, I provided the link purely to show that there are laptops available that cut out the need for a separate desktop at home, office or dorm which in turn reduces cost and risk of damage or loss.
The potential savings that could be made by purchasing a single more powerful laptop would allow for the purchase of a larger screen for watching films and gaming when not studying, a printer, a protective carrying case and a Kensington lock for security, for me the Sony screen is its only advantage and I would not purchase a second computer based on that alone.
I have included a link to a couple of Macbook airs for you to look over http://www.apple.com...kair/specs.html let us know your thoughts on these + a link to help with free anti virus software which will cut out the unnecessary cost of purchasing anything further http://www.geekstogo...yware-software/

The Sony salesperson I asked had no comment.

Possibly being professional, lacked knowledge or did not like to give the correct answer :)

EDIT: Additional link added.

Edited by phillpower2, 21 August 2011 - 03:06 AM.