Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

File missing or corrupt!

• Please log in to reply

Halibel

Halibel

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have Acer Aspire One ZG5 with XP OS and when I try to turn it on a message appears Windows could not start beacause the following file is missing or corrupt :
\WINDOWS\system32\l_intl.nls

I've read some threads on how to repair XP ... but you have to have a CD drive and my notebook doesn't .... so please help !

Advertisements

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
You are going to have to perform a system recovery unless you have an external CD-ROM and are able to boot from it.

I want to restore my computer to its original settings without
recovery CDs.
Note: If your system is the multilingual version, the operating
system and language you choose when you first turn on the
system will be the only option for future recovery operations.
This recovery process helps you restore the C: drive with the original software
content that is installed when you purchase your notebook. Follow the steps
below to rebuild your C: drive. (Your C: drive will be reformatted and all data
will be erased.
) It is important to back up all data files before using this option.
Before performing a restore operation, please check the BIOS settings.
1 Check to see if Acer disk-to-disk recovery is enabled or not.
2 Make sure the D2D Recovery setting in Main is Enabled.
3 Exit the BIOS utility and save changes. The system will reboot.
Note: To activate the BIOS utility, press <F2> during POST.
To start the recovery process:
1 Restart the system.
2 While the Acer logo is showing, press <Alt> + <F10> at the same time to
enter the recovery process.
3 Refer to the onscreen instructions to perform system recovery.

Edited by skifxr, 20 August 2011 - 07:31 AM.

Halibel

Halibel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I don't have external disc .. so I tried with the method you suggested ... but when I press F2 some screen appears and tells me to enter some password .... I tried just to hit the Enter but it didn't work .... also when I press Alt and F10 nothin' happens .

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Here's a page in which you can chat with their support department.

Halibel

Halibel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well I tried to chat with them about the problem , but they told me to go to International ACER Support where I couldn't register my product :) .... so please is there a way to bypass this password or to hack it ????

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Can you check in your manual and see if there is a mention of a factory BIOS password? Also, confirm that the information I gave you before (<Alt> + <F10>, etc) is the same as what's in your manual. I'm pretty sure I downloaded the right manual for your netbook but best to be sure.

I came across a few sites about these passwords. Some say it has a chip attached to the CPU that needs to be messed with. I'm afraid I don't have any experience with this type of situation.

If you cant see anything in the manual, I'll direct you to some of these pages.

Halibel

Halibel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well it kinda sucks 'cause i threw away everything that I got when I bought it :) ... everythin' that is left is the Notebook .. so please could u link some pages :unsure:

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
http://www.wikihow.c...a-BIOS-Password Scroll down to laptop.

http://www.laptoptip.../bios-password/

Halibel

Halibel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I tried the passwords .. but they didn't work ... is there any way to repair it from like USB ?

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Possibly but I've never heard or tried. There are live CDs that will allow you to access the file system and copy over l_intl.nls. Do a search for live CD from USB flash drive. Perhaps you can make a bootable flash drive that accomplishes the same thing.

I'd look into it now but I'm going to sleep.

Let me know how you make out.

Halibel

Halibel

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Here is a video of the problem , please help if you can ....I don't want to throw away my Netbook into garbage .. Video!

Edited by Halibel, 20 August 2011 - 12:15 PM.

skifxr

skifxr

• PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Download Puppy Linux from here. Boot from it on the computer you are using now. Then follow the steps outlined in this .pdf. Section: Installing Puppy on USB Flash Disk - 1

Boot off that flash drive on the netbook(there may be a function key to select the boot device at startup). Once in Puppy, you should see the hard disk auto mounted. I believe it will be called sda1 on your desktop. Click it and browse to system32\dllcache and make a copy of l_intl.nls and paste it or whatever into system32.

This will hopefully fix your problem. If not, you probably need to run a chkdsk /r on that drive but I'm not sure how to accomplish that without a Windows CD.

Edited by skifxr, 21 August 2011 - 04:48 AM.