Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Advice needed on new build!

• Please log in to reply

Mark Hayes

Mark Hayes

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was wondering if you guys know if the spec below would be a good pc to get to edit AVCHD smoothly and have good playback of HD video? Thought I better check before I commit to build!

Case
COOLERMASTER ELITE 310 BLUE CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD PHENOM II X6 1090T (3.20GHz/9MB CACHE/AM3) - BLACK EDITION
Motherboard
ASUS® M5A87: AM3+ PLATFORM, DUAL DDR3,SATA 6.0GB/s, USB 3.0
Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG DDR3 DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card
2GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti - 2 DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD5002AALX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 32MB CACHE (7200rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
10x LG BLU-RAY RE-WRITER DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£65)
Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650 V2-80 PLUS® BRONZE (£72)
Processor Cooling
SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE CPU COOLER (£19)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Facilities
ONBOARD 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD
Firewire & Video Editing
3 Port IEEE 1394a Firewire PCI Card (£9)
Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)
Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL

Thanks
Mark

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

I was wondering if you guys know if the spec below would be a good pc to get to edit AVCHD smoothly

It is important to note a graphics card optimized for games is not the best card for graphics editing. So, while that card certainly will work, if you will be using this computer for a lot of editing on a regular basis, a "workstation" graphics card might be better suited. If this computer will be used for just casual editing every so often, then that graphics card is fine.

If you are not a pretty serious gamer, that card is overkill.

Also, you may not be aware, and for many enthusiasts it is not a concern, but it is important all readers understand that both Intel and AMD warranty their “retail” boxed versions of their CPUs that come with supplied heatsink fan assemblies as “a unit". That is, the 3-year warranty does not cover repairs if the "unit" is split and the CPU is used with an aftermarket cooling solution.

Note I am just the messenger ensuring users have all the necessary information needed to make the best, informed decision for their situation. Read the printed warranties that come with your CPUs - it's in there, or on-line here,

Intel CPU Warranty
AMD CPU Warranty

AMD is quite clear:

"This Limited Warranty shall be null and void if the AMD microprocessor which is the subject of this Limited Warranty is used with any heatsink/fan other than the one provided herewith."

You may already have these, but I don't see listed a keyboard, mouse, speakers, or a monitor.

Finally, I personally would avoid, with great effort if necessary, ANY full package security suite as they typically are bloated with tons of fancy features you never need that consume lots of disk space, and often adversely impact performance. And I especially would avoid any security suite that expires and requires money to renew or update. There are just too many perfectly capable and FREE security solutions out there, including Windows' own Windows Firewall and the free Microsoft Security Essentials(MSE) anti-malware solution.